Shannon B. JohnsonMonterey Bay Aquarium Research Institute
7700 Sandholdt Road
Moss Landing, CA 95039
Phone: (831) 775-1772
Fax: (831) 775-1620
My role at MBARI:
I joined MBARI in February, 2003 as a research technician in the Molecular Ecology lab for Bob Vrijenhoek. Currently I am working on population genetics and phylogenetics of Lepetodrilid limpets from hydrothermal vents worldwide. I also get to work on many other exciting projects in our lab, including studying the bone-eating worms, Osedax spp. and their symbionts. MBARI is a fun and exciting place to work and I enjoy it every day.
BS in Biology, UCLA (Bruins RULE!) - 1999
MS in Marine Science, Moss Landing Marine Laboratories, 2003
- Vrijenhoek, R.C., S.B. Johnson, and G.W. Rouse. 2008. Bone-eating Osedax females and their ‘harems’ of dwarf males
are recruited from a common larval pool. Molec. Ecol. 17: 4535-4544.
- Rouse, G.W., N.G. Wilson, S.K. Goffredi, S.B. Johnson, T.
Smart, C. Widmer, C.M. Young, and R.C. Vrijenhoek. In Press. Spawning and development in Osedax boneworms (Siboglinidae, Annelida). Mar. Biol.
- Johnson, S.B., A. Warén, and
R.C. Vrijenhoek. 2008. DNA
barcoding of Lepetodrilus
limpets reveals cryptic species. J. Shellfish Res. 27: 43-51.
- Génio, L., S.B. Johnson, R. C. Vrijenhoek, M.R.
Cunha, P.A. Tyler, S. Kiel, and C.T.S. Little. 2008. New records of "Bathymodiolus"
mauritanicus (Cosel 2002) from the
Gulf of Cadiz (NE Atlantic) mud volcanos. J. Shellfish Res. 27: 53-61.
- Rouse, G.W., K. Worsaae, S.B. Johnson, W.J. Jones, and R.C.
Vrijenhoek. 2008. Acquisition of
dwarf male 'harems' by recently settled females of Osedax
roseus n. sp. (Siboglinidae;
Annelida). Biol. Bull. 214:
- Jones, W.J., S.B. Johnson, G.W. Rouse, and R.C. Vrijenhoek.
2008. Marine Worms (genus Osedax) colonize cow bones. Proc. Royal
Soc. 275: 387-391.
- Foster, M.S., L.M. McConnico, L. Lundsten, T. Wadsworth, T.
Kimball, L.B. Brooks, M. Medina-Lopez, R. Riosmena-Rodriguez, G.
Hernandez-Carmona, R.M. Vasquez-Elizondo, S. Johnson, D.L. Steller.
2007. Diversity and natural history
of a Lithamnion muelleri-Sargassum horridum community in the Gulf of California. Ciencias
Marinas, 33: 367-384.
- Braby, C.E., G.W. Rouse, S.B. Johnson, W.J. Jones, R.C. Vrijenhoek. 2007. Bathymetric and temporal variation among Osedax boneworms and associated megafauna on whale-falls in Monterey Bay, California. Deep-Sea Res. I., 54: 1773-1791.
- Goffredi, S.K., S.B. Johnson, and R.C. Vrijenhoek. 2007. Genetic diversity and potential function
of microbial symbionts associated with newly discovered species of Osedax polychaete worms. AEM, 73: 2314-2323.
- Johnson, S.B., C.R. Young, W.J. Jones, A. Warén, and R.C. Vrijenhoek. 2006. Migration, isolation and speciation of hydrothermal vent limpets (Gastropoda; Lepetodrilidae) across the Blanco Transform Fault. Bio. Bull., 210: 140-157.
- Johnson, S.B. and J.G. Geller. 2006. Larval settlement can explain the adult
distribution of Mytilus californianus Conrad but not of M.
galloprovincialis Lamarck or M.
trossulus Gould in Moss Landing,
central California: Evidence from genetic identification of spat. JEMBE,