Monterey Bay Aquarium Research Institute
7700 Sandholdt Road
Moss Landing, CA 95039
Phone: (831) 775-1775
Fax: (831) 775-1620
|1998 - First day at MBARI||2012 - On board R/V Zephyr, Gulf of California|
- High resolution mapping of the deep ocean seafloor using the MBARI Mapping AUV, an autonomous underwater vehicle equipped with multibeam, sidescan, and subbottom profiler sonars.
- Techniques for the processing of swath mapping sonar data.
- Photographic imaging of the seafloor
- Morphology and sediment transport processes in submarine canyons
- Morphology and tectonics of oceanic spreading centers
- Morphology and tectonics of seamounts
- Morphology and subsurface structure of gas hydrate deposits and outcrops
- MB-System - an open source software package for the processing and display of swath mapping sonar data.
- Ocean Imaging - Development project for low altitude seafloor surveys. We are working to combine stereo still photography with high-frequency multibeam sonar on ROV and AUV platforms flying at 2-3 m altitudes. Our goal is to obtain fully three-dimensional models of the seafloor combining topography on scales of ~5 cm with color photography.This is a long term effort that will require several years.