Video Annotation and Reference System (VARS):
Project Manager: Nancy Jacobsen Stout
Lead Scientist: Judith Connor
Lead Engineer: Brian Schlining
The goal of the Video Annotation and Reference System (VARS) project is to disseminate this unique software package to interested marine researchers around the world. As VARS moves into production and maintenance mode in the early part of 2005, we can focus on accomplishing this goal. During the first part of 2005, our plan for the evaluation and selection of the most appropriate software distribution method will include the following steps:
- Evaluate use cases for sharing code as open source.
- Evaluate successful and non-successful use cases involving an external partnership to prepare software for external distribution.
- Contact technical staff at potential partnering institutions to determine if interest in VARS continues and if the skill and availability exist.
- Evaluate current status of the VARS code and determine what will need to be done to make it ready for external dissemination.
- Carefully weigh the costs and benefits of the above options in a design review. Evaluate the amount of long-term MBARI support required for each option.
- Complete preliminary design of the system plan, review, and select the most suitable option.