Continental Margin Processes
Project Manager: Bill Ussler
Lead Scientist: Charlie Paull
This project combines four, previously separate projects:
- Continental Margin Processes (2001-2004)
- Canyon Dynamics (2001-2004)
- ATOC (Acoustic Thermometry of Ocean Circulation) cable (2004)
- TPC (Temperature-Pressure-Conductivity) (2002)
The project now supports core studies of processes associated with continental margin development. For 2005 the focus is on completion of previous projects and collection of new data associated with five separate activities:
- Installation of instruments in Shepard Meander and adjacent canyon flanks in preparation for the full MOOS benthic experiment planned for 2006.
- Coring in the channel and fan system of the lower Monterey Canyon.
- Cruising with R/V Western Flyer/ROVTiburon to the Santa Monica Basin.
- Repeat mapping of selected sections of the Monterey Canyon floor.
- Fast response to Salinas River flooding and other potential sediment transport events in Monterey Canyon.