Joint projects – MBA/MBARI
Project Manager/lead Scientist: George Matsumoto
This proposal focuses on collaborative projects between the two sister
institutions: Monterey Bay Aquarium (MBA) and MBARI
with Randy Kochevar and George Matsumoto serving as the primary liaisons for
Year 2002 projects include two exhibits, a multi-media auditorium program,
aquarium education programs, joint intern activities, and some collaborative
research projects (on jellies, benthic tunicates, and hydrozoans).
- Mysteries of the Deep exhibit.
- A temporary exhibit Jellies opening Spring 2002 through
- The auditorium program Exploring Monterey Canyon and a
high definition video feature focused on jellies.
Preliminary discussions have identified the following resource needs:
- Support for Mysteries
of the Deep collections and maintenance.
- Filming, video and content support for exhibits, marketing, public relations, and
- An analysis of the existing microwave system
(documentation of existing system and survey of on/off status).
- Continued assistance from the MBARI Ocean Observatory staff for microwave
installation and maintenance.
- Continued support for the MBARI/MBA Research Fellow, Dr. Kevin
Raskoff's work on jellies.
- Access to MBA facilities by MBARI staff for research and equipment
- Participation in the 2003 Gulf
of California Expedition
- NEPTUNE Educational Outreach.