MBARI Summer Internship Program- Supplemental Information
The 2022 program starts on June 6th and goes until August 12. We are currently planning for an in-person program but may have to shift to virtual if COVID issues are still prevalent. If you have conflicts with these dates, go ahead and apply and if you are accepted, we will try and work with you to make the program dates work. If you are going to miss more than two weeks (of the ten weeks), it will probably not work. There is a stipend provided (last year it was $15/hour) but housing, food, travel, etc are on your own. There is a relaxed dress code at MBARI, we will go over this prior to the beginning of the program.
Applications close at 0800 hours (8 am) Pacific time on February 7th, 2022. Electronic submissions are preferred, please email email@example.com. Incomplete or late applications may not be considered. Please put your name in the subject heading of the email (and ask your recommendation letter writer to do the same).
- Applicants must submit (pdf format is preferred for all documents):
- a cover letter
- curriculum vitae
- one letter of recommendation
- a completed online supplemental information form
- The cover letter should include a statement of your specific research interests, complete contact information, relevant coursework and grades received (transcripts are not required). We would also like you to think about and discuss how you hope to use your upbringing, background, and/or life experiences to enhance your internship experience. Potential project descriptions are posted and applicants MUST indicate their project preference(s) in the cover letter. PDF format is preferred for all submitted documents.
Avoid cliché and simple biographies.
Talk about your experiences and how they lead to your goals.
Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- Include relevant academic and work experiences, honors, leadership activities, and skills and training.
- Sell yourself!
- Write active descriptions of experiences focusing on accomplishments and ‘end products’.
- Customize your resume or CV for your audience.
- Use consistent formatting so that your resume or CV looks professional and information is easy to find. PDF format is preferred.
Letter of Recommendation
- If an electronic letter of recommendation is being sent to us directly from the author, please ask the author to include your name in the subject line of the email (e.g., Smith, Jane: Letter of recommendation). PDF format is preferred.
Real relationships are key! Develop personal connections with strong letter writers.
Best recommendation letters come from:
Someone who knows you well and can comment on your work.
Someone who has supervised you in a job or internship aligned with the program you are pursuing.
The MBARI Summer Internship Program is generously supported through a gift from the Dean and Helen Witter Family Fund and the Rentschler Family Fund in memory of former MBARI board member Frank Roberts (1920-2019) and by the David and Lucile Packard Foundation. Additional funding is provided by the Maxwell/Hanrahan Foundation.