Data Format Specifications
MB-System supports a large number of data formats used to store
bathymetry and backscatter imagery data derived from multibeam,
and sidescan sonars. Many of these data formats were created by sonar
or software developers who make documentation available to the
community. This section provides links to data format specification
documents that we have permission
to redistribute or are available on other sites. The MB-System team and
its supporting institutions and funding agencies make no claim
regarding the accuracy or usefulness of these documents.
- ATLAS SURF format API documentation (pdf)
- Provided by ATLAS
- MB-System format 183
- Relevant to ATLAS multibeam sonars installed since 2000
- Processed data from Hydrosweep DS, Hydrosweep DS2, Hydrosweep
MD, Fansweep 15, and Fansweep 20 multibeam sonars.
- EdgeTech Jstar (*.jsf) format documentation
- Version 1.7 (November 2006) (pdf)
- Version 1.8 (October 2009) (pdf)
- Provided by EdgeTech
- MB-System format 132
- Relevant to Edgetech sidescan and subbottom profiler sonars
- Generic Sensor Format specification (version 3.04, June 8, 2012) (pdf)
- Obsolete Hawaii MR1 post processing software file format specification
- MR1PR post-processing library API (html)
- Provided by Hawaii
- Read as MB-System format 64, written in the BS file format described immediately below.
- Hawaii BS post processing software file format specification
- Hypack Hydrographic Survey Software User Manual
- Includes HYSWEEP HSX file format specification.
- Provided by HYPACK Inc.
- MB-System format 201
- IMAGE83P Imagenex DeltaT multibeam profile point format
- Vendor format for Imagenex DeltaT multibeam sonars
- Kongsberg (formerly Simrad) multibeam sonar data format
- revision F (2000) (pdf)
- revision H (2004) (pdf)
- revision I (January 2006) (pdf)
- revision J (February 2008) (pdf)
- revision K (June 2009) (pdf)
- revision M (January 2010) (pdf)
- revision N (September 2010) (pdf)
- revision P (June 2012) (pdf)
- revision Q (February 2013) (pdf)
- Provided by Kongsberg Maritime
- MB-System formats 56 and 58
- Relevant to second and third generation Simrad multibeam sonars.
- L3 SeaBeam 2100 multibeam sonar data format (pdf)
- L3 (ELAC, SeaBeam, Klein): XSE multibeam sonar data format
- Version 1.7.0 (January 2001) (pdf)
- Version 1.8.4 (July 2002) (pdf)
- Version 1.8.5 (July 2003) (pdf)
- Version 1.8.7 (November 2004) (pdf)
- Version 1.8.22 (August 2009) (pdf)
- Version 1.8.28 (January 2011) (pdf)
- Version 1.8.36 (May 24, 2012) (pdf)
- MGD77 Marine Geophysical Data Exchange Format (pdf) (pdf at NGDC)
- Provided by NOAA
National Geophysical Data Center
- MB-System format 161
- Used for exchange of single beam bathymetry, magnetics, and
gravity data. Originally defined in 1977; most recently updated 1998.
- MSTIFF Image Data File Format (pdf)
- Provided by Marine
- MB-System format 131
- Relevant to Marine Sonic Technology Sea Scan PC sidescan
sonars installed since 1997.
- MBLDEOIH Generic Swath Mapping Format (html)
- Defined by the MB-System team.
- MB-System format 71
- Used for storing swath data in simple, compact files that can
be read quickly.
- Used in the MB-System processing environment for ".fbt"
ancillary swath bathymetry files
- Reson 7k Multibeam Data format
- Version 2.20 (25 November 2011) (pdf)
- Version 2.21 (9 January 2012) (pdf)
- Version 2.22 (7 May 2012) (pdf)
- Provided by Reson
- MB-System format 88
- Vendor format for Reson 7k series multibeam sonars
- SEA 7k SWATHplus data formats (pdf)
- Scripps Institution of Oceanography SeaBeam Merge Format (pdf)
- Provided by SIO Geological Data Center
- Used for SeaBeam Classic data collected on R/V Thomas Washington during the 1980's and 1990's.
- MB-System format 11.
- Triton Imaging XTF Data format (pdf)
- Provided by Triton Imaging
- Not properly supported in MB-System, but of interest to many
- Data format associated with Triton Imaging's Isis dataloggers
- Supports sidescan, multibeam, and subbottom data from many sonars
- WASSP Multibeam data very old format (pdf)
- WASSP Multibeam data realtime broadcast format (pdf)
- Provided by Electronic Navigation Ltd.
- Realtime broadcast format for WASSP multibeam sonars
- Can be a file format if a datalogger captures and logs the stream with no modifications.
Last Updated: 31 January 2014