Carlos A. Rueda
Senior Software Engineer
Monterey Bay Aquarium Research Institute
7700 Sandholdt Road
Moss Landing, CA 95039
Phone: (831) 775-1929
Carlos’s areas of expertise and interest include scientific data management, visualization, data integration and interoperability, programming languages, and semantic web. He received a B.S. degree in Systems Engineering and Computer Science from Universidad Autónoma de Manizales, Colombia, in 1994, and a Ph.D. degree in Computer Science from University of California, Davis, in 2007. Before joining MBARI in 2008, Carlos was on a postdoctoral position at UC Davis Computer Science Department, where he participated in various projects (REAP, COMET, GeoStreams). At CSTARS and CALSPACE, in close collaboration with domain scientists, Carlos developed data processing and numerical analysis algorithms for a variety of applications ranging from the spatial interpolation of meteorological parameters over extended geographical areas, to the efficient inversion of models for estimation of vegetation properties from remotely sensed data. At MBARI Carlos has participated in software development activities in multiple projects, including Long-range autonomous underwater vehicles (LRAUV), Ocean Soundscape, Targeted Sampling by Autonomous Underwater Vehicles, Oceanographic Decision Support System, Environmental Sample Processor (ESP), Ocean Observatories Initiative Cyberinfrastructure, Observatory Middleware Framework, Marine Metadata Interoperability.
- Y. Zhang, B. Kieft, B. W. Hobson, J. Ryan, B. Barone, C. Preston, B. Roman, B-Y. Raanan, R. Marin III, T. O’Reilly, C. Rueda, D. Pargett, K. Yamahara, S. Poulos, A. Romano, G. Foreman, H. Ramm, S. Wilson, E. DeLong, D. Karl, J. Birch, J. Bellingham, and C. Scholin (2020). Autonomous Tracking and Sampling of the Deep Chlorophyll Maximum Layer in an Open-Ocean Eddy by a Long-Range Autonomous Underwater Vehicle. IEEE Journal of Oceanic Engineering. DOI: 10.1109/JOE.2019.2920217.
- Zhang, Y., Rueda, C., Kieft, B., Ryan, J., Wahl, C., O’Reilly, T., Maughan, T., Chavez, F. (2019): Autonomous Tracking of an Oceanic Thermal Front by a Wave Glider. Journal of Field Robotics. DOI: 10.1002/rob.21862. Wiley Online Library.
- Graybeal, J., Isenor, A., Rueda, C. (2012): Semantic Mediation of Vocabularies for Ocean Observing Systems. Computers & Geosciences. Volume 40, March 2012, Pages 120-131, ISSN 0098-3004. doi:10.1016/j.cageo.2011.08.002.
- Fredericks, J. and Rueda, C. (2011): Content-Infused OGC Web Services Enabling Dynamic Quality Assessment in Observing Systems. Workshop on Sensor Web Enablement 2011 (SWE 2011).
- Greenberg, J.A., C. Rueda, E.L. Hestir, M.J. Santos and S.L. Ustin. (2011): Least Cost Path Analysis for Spatial Interpolation. Computers & Geosciences. Volume 37, Issue 2, February 2011, Pages 272-276. doi:10.1016/j.cageo.2010.05.012.
- Gertz, M., Rueda, C., Zhang, J. (2009): Interoperability and Data Integration in the Geosciences. Book chapter in A. Shoshani and D. Rotem (editors). Scientific Data Management: Challenges, Existing Technology, and Deployment, Chapman & Hall/CRC Computational Science.
- J. Zhang, Q. Hart, M. Gertz, C. Rueda, J. Bergamini. (2009): Sensor data dissemination systems using Web-based standards: A case study of publishing data in support of evapotranspiration models in California. Civil Engineering and Environmental Systems, 26(1), pp. 35-52. (doi: 10.1080/10286600802003567)
- Q. Hart, M. Brugnach, B. Temesgen, C. Rueda, S.L. Ustin, K. Frame. (2009): Daily reference evapotranspiration for California using satellite imagery and weather station measurement interpolation. Civil Engineering and Environmental Systems. Volume 26, Issue 1 March 2009, pages 19 – 33. (doi: 10.1080/10286600802003500)
- Carlos Rueda and Michael Gertz. (2008). Real-time Integration of Geospatial Raster and Point Data Streams. 20th International Conference on Scientific and Statistical Data Management (SSDBM), Hong Kong, China, July 2008. http://i.cs.hku.hk/~ssdbm/
- Carlos Rueda (2007). Geospatial Image Stream Processing: Models, Techniques, and Applications in Remote Sensing Change Detection. Ph.D. Dissertation. University of California, Davis.
- Carlos Rueda and Michael Gertz. (2007): Modeling Satellite Image Streams for Change Analysis. 15th ACM International Symposium on Advances in Geographic Information Systems (ACM GIS 2007). November 2007. Seattle, Washington. http://www.cise.ufl.edu/dept/acmgis2007.
- Carlos Rueda, Michael Gertz, Bertram Ludaescher, and Bernd Hamann. (2006): An Extensible Infrastructure for Processing Distributed Geospatial Data Streams. 18th International Conference on Scientific and Statistical Database Management. July 2006. Vienna, Austria. http://www.ocg.at/ssdbm2006/
- Michael Gertz, Quinn Hart, Carlos Rueda, Shefali Singhal, Jie Zhang. (2006): A Data and Query Model for Streaming Geospatial Image Data. 11th International Workshop on Foundations of Models and Languages for Data and Objects (Query Languages and Query Processing – QLQP 2006)
- Cheng, Yen-Ben, Zarco-Tejada, P.J., Riaño, D., Rueda, C.A., and Ustin, S.L. (2006): Estimating Vegetation Water Content with Hyperspectral Data for Different Canopy Scenarios: Relationships between AVIRIS and MODIS Indexes. Remote Sensing of Environment. 2006. Volume 105, Issue 4, 30 Dec 2006, Pages 354-366.
- D. Riaño, M.A. Patricio, P. Zarco-Tejada, C. Rueda, L. Usero, S.L. Ustin. (2005): Estimation of equivalent water thickness using radial basis function neural networks. First Int’l Conference on Remote Sensing and Geoinformation Processing in the Assessment and Monitoring of Land Degradation and Desertification. Trier, Germany, September 2005. http://ubt.opus.hbz-nrw.de/volltexte/2006/362/
- Zarco-Tejada, P.J., Rueda, C.A., and Ustin, S.L. Water Content Estimation in Vegetation with MODIS Reflectance Data and Model Inversion Methods. Remote Sensing of Environment. 2003. Volume 85, Issue 1, 25 April 2003, Pages 109-124.
Conferences, Workshops, technical Reports
- Rueda, C.A and Ryan J. P. (2020). “Humpback whale song analysis based on automatic classification performance.” The Journal of the Acoustical Society of America 148, 2597 (2020); https://doi.org/10.1121/1.5147215.
- Pier Luigi Buttigieg, Chris Mungall, Carlos Rueda, Lewis McGibbney, Simon Cox, Ruth Duerr, Doug Fils, John Graybeal, Beth Huffer, Tom Narock, Bhaskar Ramachandran, Stian Soiland-Reyes, Brandon Whitehead (2018). SWEET Ontology Suite v3. 0.0: Development, Alignments and Use Cases. American Association of Geographers 2018.
- Zhang, Y., B. Kieft, C. Rueda, T. O’Reilly, J. Ryan, T. Maughan, C. Wahl, and F. Chavez (2016). “Autonomous front tracking by a Wave Glider.” In: Marine Technology Society / Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers Oceans Conference, Monterey, California.
- Matthew K. Howard, F. C. Gayanilo, C. A. Rueda, S. R. Smith, Todd A. Chavez, and J. C. Gibeaut. “What’s in a name? Vocabularies for Search, Browse and Interoperability” 2014 Gulf of Mexico Oil Spill & Ecosystem Science Conference. Mobile, Alabama. Jan. 2014.
- J. Graybeal, C. Rueda, F. Gayanilo, K. Stocks. “MMI’s Metadata and Vocabulary Solutions: 10 Years and Growing.” Poster. American Geophysical Union, Fall Meeting 2014. (IN33B-3772)
- Haines, S., V. Subramanian, E. Mayorga, D. Snowden, R. Ragsdale, C. Rueda and M. Howard. IOOS vocabulary and ontology strategy for observed properties. Proc. MTS/IEEE Oceans 2012, Hampton Roads, VA.
- OGC Engineering Report 09-156r2: Ocean Science Interoperability Experiment Phase II Report. Bermudez, L., Coyle, D., Rueda, C., Bridger, E., O’Reilly, T., Maskey, M., Delory, E. 2011.
- O’Reilly, T., K. Headley, D.R. Edgington, C. Rueda, K. Lee, E. Song, C. Albrechts, J. del Rio, D. Toma, A. Manuel, E. Delory, C. Waldmann, S. Fairgrieve, L. Bermudez, E. Bridger, P. Bogden, and A. Amirault (2009). Instrument interface standards for interoperable ocean sensor networks. Proceedings of the IEEE/Oceans Engineering Society, Bremen, Germany.
- Rueda, C., Bermudez, L., Fredericks, J. (2009). The MMI Ontology Registry and Repository: A Portal for Marine Metadata Interoperability. Oceans 09 MTS/IEEE Biloxi.
- del Rio, J., O’Reilly, T., Headley, K., Toma, D., Cater, N., Rueda, C., Edgington, C., Ng, C., Bghiel, I., Bermudez, L., Zedlitz, J., Johnson, F., Johnson, G., Davis, E., Phillips, R., Tilak, S., Fountain, T., Delory, E., Manuel, A., Waldman, C. (2009): Evaluation of MBARI PUCK Protocol for Interoperable Ocean Observatories. 3rd International Workshop on Marine Technology. Barcelona, Spain. 2009.
- J. Fredericks, M. Botts, L. Bermudez, J. Bosch, P. Bogden, E. Bridger, T. Cook, J. Graybeal, S. Haines, C. Rueda, W. Christoph (2009). Integrating QA/QC into Open Geospatial Consortium Sensor Web Enablement. In Proceedings of OceanObs’09: Sustained Ocean Observations and Information for Society (Vol. 2), Venice, Italy, 21-25 September 2009.
- Carlos Rueda, Jianting Zhang, Michael Gertz (2008). Coast-to-Mountain Environmental Transect (COMET). Presentation of the COMET project at the First Kepler Stakeholders Meeting, UC Davis, May 13-14, 2008.
- Carlos Rueda and Michael Gertz. Real-time visualization of streaming data from a GOES environmental satellite. SWOC’05.
- Carlos Rueda, Haiyan Yang, Bertram Ludaescher, Michael Gertz, Quinn Hart, Jie Zhang, Shefali Singhal. Visualizing and Processing Real-time GOES Satellite Data Using Kepler. Sixth Biennial Ptolemy Miniconference. Berkeley, CA, May 2005.
- Carlos Rueda. SAMS: A Spectral Analysis and Management System. IGERT Workshop: Invasive Weed Mapping with Remote Sensing Data. February 7 and 8, 2004. University of California at Davis.
- S. L. Ustin, E. Underwood, M. J. Mulitsch, J. A. Greenberg, S. C. Kefauver, M. L. Whiting, C. A. Rueda, C. M. Ramirez, G. J. Scheer, and L. F. Ross. 2004. Mapping invasive plant species in the Sacramento-San Joaquin Delta region using hyperspectral imagery. Report. Department of Boating and Waterways, Sacramento, CA.
- Ustin, S., J. Greenberg, D. DiPietro, S. Dobrowski, J. Goodman, C. Rueda, J. Syder, A. Trabucco, Q. Xiao, and P. J. Zarco-Tejada. 2001. Monitoring the Earth using imaging spectrometers. In Digital Media Innovation Program (DiMI), J. Kuchera-Morin, S. Berman, T. Lynn, C. Nizibian, and D. Scott, editors. Microsoft, Inc., Mountain View, CA.
Presentations, Demos, Posters
- C. Rueda. The MMI Device Ontology: Enabling Sensor Integration. Oral presentation at the American Geophysical Union, Fall Meeting 2010. (IN44B-08)
- R. Arko, J. Graybeal, C. Rueda, L. Bermudez, S. Smith (2010). MMI and R2R: Applying a Device Ontology to Research Vessels in the Academic Fleet. 2010 Oceans Sciences Meeting. Portland, OR.
- L. Bermudez, C. Rueda, J. Graybeal (2010). The MMI Earth Sciences Semantic Framework. Presentation at the ESIP Winter Meeting 2010, Jan 5th at Washington, DC.
- C. Rueda, L. Bermudez, J. Graybeal, P. Alexander. (2009). The MMI Semantic Framework: Rosetta Stones for Earth Sciences. American Geophysical Union, Fall Meeting 2009.
- C. Rueda, L. Bermudez, J. Graybeal. (2009). The MMI Ontology Registry and Repository. December ‘09 OGC Technical and Planning Committee Meeting. Mountain View, CA. 2009.
- E. Bridger, L. E. Bermudez, M. Maskey, C. Rueda, B. L. Babin, R. Blair. (2009). OOSTethys – Open Source Software for the Global Earth Observing Systems of Systems. American Geophysical Union, Fall Meeting 2009.
- L. Bermudez, C. Rueda, D. Arctur. (2009). Moving Beyond the 10,000 Ways That Don’t Work. American Geophysical Union, Fall Meeting 2009.
- Rueda, C., Bermudez, L., Graybeal, J., Isenor, A., and Alexander, P. Semantic Integration for Marine Science Interoperability Using Web Technologies. American Geophysical Union, Fall Meeting 2008.
- Rueda, C. and Alexander, P. The MMI Project: Communities Creating Marine Metadata Interoperability. National Center for Biomedical Ontology (NCBO) BioPortal Developers Meeting. Stanford University. December 18, 2008.
- Rueda, C. The MMI Tools: Overview and Demonstration. Ocean Observing Systems Semantic Interoperability Workshop. University Corporation for Atmospheric Research, Boulder, CO. November 17, 2008.
- Rueda, C. The Marine Metadata Interoperability Project. Ocean Observing Systems Semantic Interoperability Planning Workshop. University of Alabama at Huntsville. August 26, 2008.
- Rueda, C. Vocabularies and Ontologies: Formats and Tools. Ocean Observing Systems Semantic Interoperability Planning Workshop. University of Alabama at Huntsville. August 26, 2008.