Postdoctoral Fellowships Application Information
The MBARI Postdoctoral Fellowship Program is currently accepting applications.
Start date: Varies and can be discussed after acceptance of offer.
Offers will be made to candidates from the fields of biological, chemical, and physical oceanography; marine geology; and ocean engineering. Candidates must be awarded the Ph.D. degree prior to starting the fellowship. Fellowships may require occasional trips to sea and while the MBARI awards are typically for two years, a third year is possible if the fellow is able to secure external funds for that third year.
MBARI offers a competitive compensation and benefits package and is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer that welcomes diversity. MBARI considers all applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, or covered veteran status in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws.
Applicants are encouraged to communicate with potential research sponsors at MBARI for guidance on project feasibility, relevance to ongoing research projects, resource availability, and expected start date.
Applications should include:
- Curriculum vitae (CV)
- At least three professional letters of recommendation (up to five)
- Succinct statement of the applicant’s doctoral research
- Potential research goals at MBARI
- Can list up to three potential sponsors/PI/PEs
Asking for letters of recommendation
- When asking for letters of recommendation, please provide your CV, cover letter and potential research goals, as well as some thoughts about what you might like to have covered in the recommendation letter to the person you are asking to be your reference.
Providing a description of your potential research goals at MBARI
- Both engineering and science applications are encouraged as are projects that appeal to more than one research group.
- Successful applications should utilize unique MBARI assets such as our research vessels, remotely operated vehicles, and/or autonomous vehicles.