Lesson Plan Development
Standards & Key Concepts
- The Next Generation Science Standards
- The Next Generation Science Standards and the Life Sciences by Roger Bybee
- NGSS App (iTunes)
- Common Core Standards for Mathematical Practice
- Ocean Literacy—Understanding of the Ocean’s influence on you and your influence on the Ocean
- Ocean Literacy Essential Principles
- Ocean Literacy App (iTunes)
- Rubistar—a free tool to help teachers create quality rubrics
- Cornell Notes—http://coe.jmu.edu/LearningToolbox/cornellnotes1.html
- Wikimedia Commons (great source for images)
- Plagiarism video—http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fw6NxvwP41U
What is plagiarism and how do you avoid it? This brief tutorial will help answer those questions.
Science Process Skills
- The Science Process Skills—Michael J. Padilla
- Process Skills: Definitions and Examples—Exploratorium Handout
- Ocean Observatories Initiative (OOI)
Focuses on the science, technology, education and outreach of an emerging network of science driven ocean observing systems.
- U.S. Integrated Ocean Observing System (IOOS)
National office for integrated and sustaineed ocean observations that includes eleven regional centers.
- Global Ocean Observing System (GOOS)
A permanent global system for observations, modelling and analysis of marine and ocean variables to support operational ocean services worldwide.
- Gulf of Maine Ocean Observing System (GoMOOS)
Delivering information to solve problems, predict events and better understand the Gulf of Maine.
- Pacific Coast Ocean Observing System (PaCOOS)
Providing ocean information for the sustained use of the California Current Large Marine Ecosystem under a changing climate.
- CORMP—Coastal Ocean Research and Monitoring Program
- Cape Fear River Basin Monitoring Coalition's Water Quality Data
- Neuse River Estuary Modeling and Monitoring Project (ModMon)
- North Carolina Coastal Ocean Observing System (NCCOOS)
- Carolinas RCOOS—Regional Coastal Ocean Observing System
- Army Corps of Engineers—Field Research Facility