Founded in 1987 by the late David Packard, the Monterey Bay Aquarium Research Institute (MBARI) is a non-profit, private oceanographic research institute, uniquely dedicated to the development of state-of-the-art equipment, instrumentation, systems and methods for scientific research in the deep waters of the ocean. Located in Moss Landing, California, the heart of the nation’s largest marine sanctuary, MBARI places a balanced emphasis on science and engineering, with established programs in remotely operated vehicle (ROV) and autonomous underwater vehicle (AUV) technology, ocean physics, chemistry, geology, biology, and social science, as well as information management and ocean instrumentation research and development.
MBARI is now in search of a highly motivated Electronic Technician to become a part of its mission.
This individual shall perform duties such as, but not limited to:
- Working with MBARI engineers to implement, upgrade and maintain electro-mechanical systems for oceanographic research equipment.
- Assemble, rework and repair PCB assemblies, cable harnesses, and electro-mechanical systems.
- Maintenance of tools and check calibration dates on lab equipment and document, handle inventory of test equipment, procure components and tools to keep the lab running.
- Parts purchasing and kit in preparation for build.
- High school diploma, or equivalent, and 4 years relevant experience required. Most important is a desire to learn new skills as part of a team developing electro-mechanical systems.
- Must have the ability to follow exacting procedures. Ability to solder small electronic components and create custom wire harnesses and cables.
- The ability to read and interpret electronic schematics and bill of materials.
- An understanding of Ohm’s law.
- Team player with excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
You will exceed our minimum requirements if you additionally have:
- Experience creating schematics and PCB layouts using PCB design software.
- Understanding of basic analog and digital circuits.
- IPC-7711/7721 or equivalent certification for rework of electronic boards and assemblies.
- IPC J-STD-001 or equivalent certification for soldered electrical and electronic assemblies.
- Experience with standard shop equipment, drill press, band saw, cutoff saw, etc.
- Experience with hardware testing using a DMM, oscilloscope, and power measurement equipment.
- The ability and willingness to go to sea for specified periods of time or assist with instrument deployments.
- Associate’s Degree in Electronics.
For more information about the kind of work the successful applicant will be involved with: https://www.mbari.org/technology/.
MBARI offers a competitive compensation and benefits package, including medical, dental, vision, short and long term disability, life insurance, 403B retirement plan, and paid time off, such as vacation, holiday, and sick leave.
MBARI is an equal opportunity employer. MBARI considers all applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, national origin, age, disability, covered veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws.
We are currently accepting applications for this position, which will remain open until filled.
MBARI, Human Resources
Job Code: E-Tech
7700 Sandholdt Road
Moss Landing, CA 95039
Submit your cover letter and resume by e-mail to: EngineeringCareers@mbari.org, or by mail to the above address, or by fax to (831) 775-1620.
MBARI Welcomes Diversity