- 1974 Ph.D. (Earth Science) University of California at San Diego
- 1970 B.A. (Geology) University of California at Santa Barbara
- Monterey Bay Aquarium Research Institute, Senior Scientist 1999-present
- By-courtesy faculty appointment at Stanford University in the Department of Geology (1997-present)
- Monterey Bay Aquarium Research Institute, Director of Research 1996-1999
- Scientist-in-Charge, Hawaiian Volcano Observatory 1991-1996
- Research Geologist, U.S. Geological Survey 1979-1996
- Assist. Prof. of Geology, Middlebury College, VT 1975-1979
- NRC Post-doctoral appointee, U.S. Geological Survey, CA 1974-1975
Recent Service to the Scientific Community
- Member of the RIDGE Steering Committee (1994-1998)
- Member of the AGU Fellows Committee (1996-1997)
- Member of the AGU Volcanology, Geochemistry, and Petrology Section Fellows Committee (1996-1997)
- 1970 Woodhouse Scholar at University of California at Santa Barbara
- 1984 Elected to Fellow of the Geological Society of America.
- 1994 Elected to Fellow of the American Geophysical Union for contributions to geology and petrology of mid-ocean ridges and linear volcanic chains
- 1995 Received the Department of the Interior's Meritorius Service Award
- 1996 Received Community Service Award from the House of Representatives, State of Hawaii, for community education on geologic hazards
- 1996 Received Commendation from the County of Hawaii for public education about the local environment.
- 1997 Woodford-Eckis Lecturer at Pomona College, lecture entitled "Geologic Hazards and Risks: Lessons from Hawaii"
- 2000 Elected to Fellow of the California Academy of Sciences
- 2002 Collins Lecturer at Carleton University, lecture entitled “Submarine volcanic and hydrothermal activity on Loihi Seamount and Gorda Ridge”
- 2003 Received the Distinguished Alumnus Award, Department of Geological Sciences, University of California at Santa Barbara
- 2003 Recognized as Information Sciences Institute (ISI) Highly Cited Researcher
- Fellow, Geological Society of America
- Fellow, American Geophysical Union
- Fellow, California Academy of Sciences
- Associate editor of the Journal of Volcanology and Geothermal Research, 1988-1992
- Associate editor of the Bulletin of the Geological Society of America, 1992-1996
- Co-editor of AGU Monograph on Submarine Explosive Volcanism, 2002
- Conducted geologic mapping at Thetford Mines ophiolite in Quebec from 1975 to 1978.
- Conducted mapping and sampling programs on Kauai, Niihau, East Molokai, West Molokai, Koolau, Hualalai, Kilauea, and Mauna Loa volcanoes from 1972-1996.
- Monitored eruptions of Mauna Loa Volcanoe in 1984, and of Kilauea Volcano in 1983, 1984, 1991-1996.
- Conducted geologic sampling and mapping in Archaean komatiite terrains in Western Australia, Finland, and Russia in 1994 and 1995.
- Conducted limited fieldwork on the ocean islands of Iceland, Samoa, Reunion, Tahiti, and Tenerife.
- List of recent publications by the Submarine Volcanism group
<< Back to home page