MBARI's Open House
- LOCATION: MBARI is located in Moss Landing, halfway between Santa Cruz and Monterey off Highway 1. The Moss Landing power plant is a visible landmark just inland of Moss Landing Harbor. From Highway 1, turn west (toward ocean) onto Moss Landing Road. Turn on Sandholdt Road and cross the bridge. MBARI is on the west side of the road. Directions
- TIME: The Open House begins at 12:00 noon and ends at 5:00 p.m. Because much of the setup occurs in the morning prior to opening, we ask that people refrain from coming ahead of time. The exhibits and activities will be available at 12:00 noon.
- PARKING: Limited free public parking is available along the streets. The nearby Moss Landing Harbor District also offers some parking for a fee.
- FOOD: Food and beverages will not be available at MBARI. However, there are several restaurants within walking distance. There are also several benches around MBARI that you can use to picnic with your family as well as access points to the beach.
- 2013 Presentations will be posted when available.
2012 PRESENTATIONS in the PACIFIC FORUM:12:00 Volcanoes of the Gulf of California ~ Jenny Paduan12:30 Video ~ no speaker during christening of R/V Rachel Carson01:00 Volcanoes of the Gulf of California (repeat) ~ Jenny Paduan01:30 Monterey Bay: A window to the world ~ Chris Scholin02:00 Secrets of the Sargasso Sea ~ Alana Sherman02:30 ESP around the world ~ Jim Birch03:00 Secrets of the Sargasso Sea (repeat) ~ Alana Sherman03:30 ESP around the world (repeat) ~ Jim Birch04:00 Exploring the Gulf of California ~ Steve Haddock04:30 Exploring the Gulf of California (repeat) ~ Steve Haddock
- 2012 PRESENTATIONS in the VIDEO TENT:
12:15 Mysteries of the Deep (live presentation)01:00 Mysteries of the Deep (live presentation)01:30 Deep-sea video02:00 Mysteries of the Deep (live presentation)02:30 Deep-sea video03:00 Mysteries of the Deep (live presentation)03:30 Deep-sea video04:00 Mysteries of the Deep (live presentation)04:30 Deep-sea video
Frequently Asked Questions
- Can we come as a group? If coming as a group of more than 15 people, please send an email to: openhouse AT mbari DOT org or call 831-775-1700. There is no room for busses to unload, turnaround, or park at MBARI. There is room at the nearby Harbor District parking area.
- Can I see the ships? MBARI research ships will be at the dock during the event and crew from the ships will be available to answer your questions.
- Can I board the ships? Due to Department of Homeland Security and U.S. Coast Guard regulations, the public will not be able to board the ships.
- Are restrooms available? Yes, there are public restrooms.
For more information or to receive an announcement for our next Open House send an email to: openhouse AT mbari DOT org.