MBARI's 2015 Open House
Photo: Kelly Lance (c) 2013 MBARI
- LOCATION: MBARI is located in Moss Landing, halfway between Santa Cruz and Monterey off Highway 1. The Moss Landing power plant is a visible landmark just inland of Moss Landing Harbor. From Highway 1, turn west (toward ocean) onto Moss Landing Road. Turn on Sandholdt Road and cross the bridge. MBARI is on the west side of the road. Directions
- TIME: The Open House begins at 12:00 noon and ends at 5:00 p.m. Because much of the setup occurs in the morning prior to opening, we ask that people refrain from coming ahead of time. The exhibits and activities will be available at 12:00 noon.
- PARKING: Limited free public parking is available along the streets. The nearby Moss Landing Harbor District also offers some parking for a fee.
- FOOD: Food and beverages will not be available at MBARI. However, there are several restaurants within walking distance. There are also several benches around MBARI that you can use to picnic with your family as well as access points to the beach.
- 2015 PRESENTATIONS in the PACIFIC FORUM.
12:00 Monterey Canyon: superhighway to the deep sea ~ Charles Paull12:30 An introduction to MBARI ~ Chris Scholin01:00 Illuminating animal footprints in the deep sea ~ Kakani Katija01:30 An introduction to MBARI ~ Chris Scholin (REPEAT)02:00 What glows below: bioluminescence in the deep ~ Steve Haddock02:30 Illuminating animal footprints in the deep sea ~ Kakani Katija (REPEAT)03:00 You are what you eat: food web dynamics of the open ocean ~ Anela Choy03:30 What glows below: bioluminescence in the deep ~ Steve Haddock (REPEAT)04:00 A view from the ship's bridge ~ Andrew McKee04:30 Taking a measure of ocean biodiversity ~ Shannon Johnson
- 2015 PRESENTATIONS in the VIDEO TENT:
12:00 - 12:20 Video tour of the R/V Western Flyer and R/V Rachel Carson12:30 - 12:50 LIVE: Mysteries of the Deep01:00 - 01:20 LIVE: Mysteries of the Deep01:30 - 01:50 Video tour of the R/V Western Flyer and R/V Rachel Carson02:00 - 02:20 LIVE: Mysteries of the Deep02:30 - 02:50 LIVE: Mysteries of the Deep03:00 - 03:20 Video tour of the R/V Western Flyer and R/V Rachel Carson03:30 - 03:50 LIVE: Mysteries of the Deep04:00 - 04:20 LIVE: Mysteries of the Deep)04:30 - 04:50 Video tour of the R/V Western Flyer and R/V Rachel Carson
Frequently Asked Questions
- Can we come as a group? If coming as a group of more than 15 people, please send an email to: openhouse AT mbari DOT org or call 831-775-1700. There is no room for buses to unload, turnaround, or park at MBARI. There is room at the nearby Harbor District parking area.
- Can I see the ships? MBARI research ships will be at the dock during the event and crew from the ships will be available to answer your questions.
- Can I board the ships? Due to Department of Homeland Security and U.S. Coast Guard regulations, the public will not be able to board the ships.
- Are restrooms available? Yes, there are public restrooms.
For more information or to receive an announcement for our next Open House send an email to: openhouse AT mbari DOT org.