MBARI's 2014 Open House
Photo: Kelly Lance (c) 2013 MBARI
- LOCATION: MBARI is located in Moss Landing, halfway between Santa Cruz and Monterey off Highway 1. The Moss Landing power plant is a visible landmark just inland of Moss Landing Harbor. From Highway 1, turn west (toward ocean) onto Moss Landing Road. Turn on Sandholdt Road and cross the bridge. MBARI is on the west side of the road. Directions
- TIME: The Open House begins at 12:00 noon and ends at 5:00 p.m. Because much of the setup occurs in the morning prior to opening, we ask that people refrain from coming ahead of time. The exhibits and activities will be available at 12:00 noon.
- PARKING: Limited free public parking is available along the streets. The nearby Moss Landing Harbor District also offers some parking for a fee.
- FOOD: Food and beverages will not be available at MBARI. However, there are several restaurants within walking distance. There are also several benches around MBARI that you can use to picnic with your family as well as access points to the beach.
- 2014 PRESENTATIONS in the PACIFIC FORUM.
12:00 Life in the deep sea ~ Lonny Lundsten12:30 Tentacles: the science behind the exhibit ~ Stephanie Bush01:00 MBARI: past, present, and future ~ Chris Scholin01:30 Tentacles: the science behind the exhibit ~ Stephanie Bush (REPEAT)02:00 MBARI: past, present, and future ~ Chris Scholin (REPEAT)02:30 Feast and famine on the abyssal seafloor ~ Christine Huffard03:00 Technology push, science pull ~ Doug Au03:30 Seeing the deep seafloor ~ Katherine Dunlop04:00 Technology push, science pull ~ Doug Au (REPEAT)04:30 Seeing the deep seafloor ~ Katherine Dunlop (REPEAT)
- 2014 PRESENTATIONS in the VIDEO TENT:
12:00 - 12:20 Video tour of the R/V Western Flyer and R/V Rachel Carson12:30 - 12:50 LIVE: Mysteries of the Deep01:00 - 01:20 LIVE: Mysteries of the Deep01:30 - 01:50 Video tour of the R/V Western Flyer and R/V Rachel Carson02:00 - 02:20 LIVE: Mysteries of the Deep02:30 - 02:50 LIVE: Mysteries of the Deep03:00 - 03:20 Video tour of the R/V Western Flyer and R/V Rachel Carson03:30 - 03:50 LIVE: Mysteries of the Deep04:00 - 04:20 LIVE: Mysteries of the Deep)04:30 - 04:50 Video tour of the R/V Western Flyer and R/V Rachel Carson
Frequently Asked Questions
- Can we come as a group? If coming as a group of more than 15 people, please send an email to: openhouse AT mbari DOT org or call 831-775-1700. There is no room for buses to unload, turnaround, or park at MBARI. There is room at the nearby Harbor District parking area.
- Can I see the ships? MBARI research ships will be at the dock during the event and crew from the ships will be available to answer your questions.
- Can I board the ships? Due to Department of Homeland Security and U.S. Coast Guard regulations, the public will not be able to board the ships.
- Are restrooms available? Yes, there are public restrooms.
For more information or to receive an announcement for our next Open House send an email to: openhouse AT mbari DOT org.