The David and Lucile Packard Foundation has advocated for healthy oceans on the West Coast for two decades through a variety of grantmaking strategies, including an annual unrestricted grant to the Monterey Bay Aquarium Research Foundation. MBARI will provide support to advance science and knowledge to the goals set forth in the foundation’s West Coast Strategic Plan.
The 2014 Technology Roadmap complements the Strategic Plan, focusing on opportunities for MBARI to contribute fundamental technological advances that will enable innovative research efforts locally and globally. The institute’s technology priorities are:
- Taking the laboratory into the ocean
- Enabling targeted sampling
- Advancing a persistent presence
The 2011 Strategic Plan sets forth the institute’s overarching goals:
- Develop innovative technologies for studying and understanding the ocean.
- Using that technology to explore and understand natural ocean systems.
- Share the knowledge gained, solutions devised, and the technology developed.