Synchro Program Manager
The Monterey Bay Aquarium Research Institute (MBARI) is recruiting a Program Manager for the Synchro Program, a co-design lab for synchronizing technology evolution for industry, ocean science, and conservation. This new initiative will work to realize the power of developing and mature ocean observing tools and teams for understanding, managing and sustaining ocean resources. Synchro will establish a co-design lab and testbed in Monterey Bay that accelerates progress to bring new tools into operation with impact. This entails work with low cost sensor production and evaluation, field testing and evaluation access for teams to undertake testing and demonstrating technology on regional infrastructures, and a co-design case study initiative with a focus on addressing needs for baseline and impact assessment for prospective offshore wind energy developments. This work will include facilitating work with maturing sensing modalities including eDNA, imaging, passive and acoustic monitoring, animal telemetry and more.
Synchro will be housed alongside the Central and Northern California Ocean Observing System (CeNCOOS) Program Office at MBARI. The role works closely with other CeNCOOS staff and collaborators to coordinate testing activities and program administration. This involves coordination of facilitating technology developers with access for testing and evaluation with a number of facilities around Monterey Bay including the Stanford Hopkins Marine Station, University of California Santa Cruz (UCSC), Moss Landing Marine Laboratories (MLML), and California State University Monterey Bay (CSUMB), as well as co-design efforts led by the Stanford Center for Ocean Solutions (COS).
The successful candidate will have a Master of Science degree or similar experience in marine science or engineering, or related fields. Experience in program / project management in the marine domain, and coordinating ocean observing activities is needed. Knowledge of ocean observing systems, sensors, platforms and / or technologies is desirable.
Major responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Implement the Synchro co-design lab and testbed;
- Coordinate calls for access to testbed facilities and case study applications, as well as instances of access with testbed applicants and facility providers;
- Project management in reporting, budgets, subawards and contracts;
- Monitor the progress of the program in achieving goals and objectives and ensuring organizational accountability;
- Assist in co-design and other engagements to facilitate program activities including data lifecycle planning and understanding needs from point of collection to user applications;
- Represent Synchro in regional to international fora;
- Support broader engagement including through production of targeted, audience-specific communication, education and outreach materials;
- Translate Synchro successes into generalizable plans for bringing maturing technologies to broader application globally.
The post will be based at MBARI, located in Moss Landing, CA, where Synchro is housed. MBARI has an active data science and research program with others working on successful ocean observing technology initiatives and many other aspects of ocean science and engineering. Opportunities to participate in fieldwork are expected, such as for understanding the collection of data that underpin Synchro.
Applications will be reviewed as they are received and must include:
- A cover letter, including reference to relevant training and/or experience;
- A curriculum vitae.
Submit your application material by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org, or by mail to the below address, or by fax to (831) 775-1620.
MBARI, Human Resources
Job Code: Synchro-PM
7700 Sandholdt Road
Moss Landing, CA 95039
MBARI offers a competitive compensation and benefits package, including medical, dental, vision, short and long term disability, life insurance, 403B retirement plan, and paid time off, such as vacation, holiday, and sick leave.
MBARI is an Equal Opportunity Employer. MBARI considers all applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, national origin, age, disability, covered veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws.
MBARI Welcomes Diversity