Nature and Scope:
The Steward/Cook is responsible for food services, cleanliness of the galley and stores area, as well as linen services. The R/V Western Flyer is a single person steward department supporting a maximum of 26 persons including this position. The ship is homeported in Moss Landing CA and the majority of trips originate and return here. Our ship schedule is found here. MBARI crews are full time employees and do not work on a rotation. This position is well suited for those living within commuting distance of Moss Landing CA.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Food preparation, stores, inventory, menu planning, cooking duties normal to the Steward, providing three meals per day while at sea.
- Cleanliness of the galley and stores areas shall be consistent with best safe food handling practices as well as safety of the ship and crew.
- Linen duties include distribution and collection of dirty linen for transport to a shoreside laundry service.
- Ensures professional working relations with co-workers and customers.
- Performs related duties as assigned.
- May be tasked with additional duties as dictated by the safety of life at sea.
- High school diploma or equivalent, and minimum of 5 years successful experience as Steward/Cook in the marine industry.
- USCG Merchant Mariners credential with entry-level endorsements as wiper/ordinary seaman/steward, Food Handler, and STCW Basic Safety.
- Must be able to lift 35 lbs.
- Ability to step up three feet.
- Ability to work in a hazardous marine environment.
- Ability to work up to two weeks continuously at sea between port calls, with occasional expeditions away from the homeport up to two months.
Submit your cover letter and resume by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org, or by mail to the below address, or by fax to (831) 775-1620.
MBARI, Human Resources
Job Code: Steward
7700 Sandholdt Road
Moss Landing, CA 95039
MBARI offers a competitive compensation and benefits package.
MBARI is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. MBARI considers all applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, or covered veteran status in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws.
MBARI Welcomes Diversity