Monterey Bay Aquarium Research Institute’s engineering department is offering rare opportunities to collaborate with leading ocean researchers in shaping the future of ocean technology at our state-of-the-art facilities in Moss Landing, CA. We are looking for someone to join a group of engineers that are tasked with developing and maintaining software infrastructure across a wide range of challenges related to oceanographic science. MBARI deals with a full spectrum of software that comprise data pipelines touching all areas of capture, storage, analytics, prediction and visualization. The ideal candidate works well with a wide variety of customers from marine operations, engineering, and science. While first-order tasks for this position will be focusing on supporting and improving existing infrastructure, there are many areas for growth that will be required as MBARI builds a larger data infrastructure to support the growing volume and diversity of data in ocean science. This will entail requirements gathering, software application design, deployment and support. This role also requires occasional participation in field operations for testing and research, and contribution to publications and presentations. This position reports to a Software Engineering Group Leader.
- Five years relevant experience in software system design and implementation
- Ability to work independently and within multidisciplinary groups
- Excellent interpersonal, critical thinking, and communication skills.
- Sound practices in all phases of software development, including design, development, and testing.
- Detail-oriented, data-driven problem solving skills.
- Professional, able to deliver solid work on tight schedules.
- Must be able to sensibly apply engineering processes and practices to projects of varying scope: (i.e., project management, revision control, configuration management, design reviews, etc.).
- Able to work in varied environments, including laboratories, test facilities and ships.
- Must be able to travel occasionally and work at sea for specified periods of time.
Preferred Qualifications to include any or all of:
- Experience in software engineering.
- First order tasks will utilize following skills: Shell scripting, C/C++, SQL databases.
- Beneficial skills would be any of the following: Python, Perl, Java, Scala, Vue, Docker/Podman.
- Familiar with Linux/OS X/Windows environments and applications, and able to develop code using these platforms.
- Experience with any of the following is also a plus:
– Experience with development in wide range of components of large software systems
– Serial communications (RS-232, RS-485, SPI, I2C)
– TCP/IP networking concepts
We are currently accepting applications for this position, which will remain open until filled. MBARI offers a competitive compensation and benefits package consistent with peer positions at other non-profit and academic institutions.
MBARI, Human Resources
Job Code: SE
7700 Sandholdt Road
Moss Landing, CA 95039
Submit your cover letter and resume by e-mail to: EngineeringCareers@mbari.org, or by mail to the above address, or by fax to (831) 775-1620.
MBARI is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. MBARI considers all applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, or covered veteran status in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws.
MBARI Welcomes Diversity