MBARI seeks a Software Engineer with expertise in software and/or electrical engineering, and experience in embedded system design and implementation. The selected candidate will work primarily on multidisciplinary teams to design, develop, test and deploy observing systems and instruments for ocean science research.
The Software Engineer will develop and maintain firmware and applications using a variety of development platforms and processors. Target systems include commercially available and custom hardware, both with and without operating systems. The applications potentially span a range of scientific and engineering problem domains that include vehicles, instruments and data acquisition systems. Types of applications include firmware, middleware and end-user applications, for a mix of embedded, desktop and networked platforms.
The Software Engineer role also requires occasional participation in field operations for testing and research, and contribution to publications and presentations
- A Bachelor’s degree in an engineering discipline and five years relevant experience, or equivalent
- Experience in embedded system design and implementation
- Ability to work independently and with multidisciplinary groups
- Excellent interpersonal, critical thinking, and communication skills
- Sound practices in all phases of software development, including design, development and testing
- Detail-oriented, data-driven problem solving skills
- Professional, able to deliver solid work on tight schedules
- Must be able to sensibly apply engineering processes and practices to projects of varying scope
- Able to work in varied environments, including laboratories, test facilities and ships
- Must be able to travel occasionally and work at sea for specified periods of time
- A background in software and/or electrical engineering
- Solid C/C++ coding skills and working knowledge of hardware
- Demonstrated skills with embedded/real-time system diagnostic skills, methods, and tools
- Familiar with Linux/OS X/Windows environments and applications, and able to develop code using these platforms
- Understanding of good measurement and data management practices
- Experience with any of the following is a plus:
- Embedded Linux
- Real-time/embedded OS internals
- PIC, ARM, Atmel, TI processors and tools
- Low power and/or battery powered systems
- Serial communications (RS-232, RS-485, SPI, I2C)
- TCP/IP networking concepts
- Wireless communications (RF, satellite)
- Autonomous systems
- Machine learning/AI
- Machine vision
- Control systems
Submit your cover letter and resume by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org, or by mail to the address below, or by fax to (831) 775-1620.
MBARI, Human Resources
Job Code: SW-ENG
7700 Sandholdt Road
Moss Landing, CA 95039
MBARI offers a competitive compensation and benefits package.
MBARI is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. MBARI considers all applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, or covered veteran status in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws.
MBARI Welcomes Diversity