Sending Electronic Mail to MBARI
The MBARI staff section of the site includes addresses for most MBARI staff members.
Message Size Limitations
The maximum message size which will be accepted by MBARI’s shore-based mail servers is 25MB. If you attempt to send an email message larger than this, you will receive an automated response telling you that the message wasn’t delivered.
If you need to deliver larger files to MBARI, use one of the following alternative data transfer methods:
- Compress your attachments to get them below the size limit. Here are brief instructions on how to compress files using some popular platforms:
- Windows: Right-click on the file or folder icon, and choose the Send To submenu. There will be a menu entry labeled Compressed (zipped) Folder. Click on that item and Windows will automatically create a ZIP file in the same directory with the same name as the original file or folder with a ZIP extension (e.g. BigFile.zip). You can then attach this file to an outgoing email message.
- Mac: Control-click on the file or folder icon, or if you have a two-button mouse, right-click on the icon. Choose Compress “file” from the menu. A file will be created in the same folder (or on the desktop if you’re working on the desktop) with the same name as the original file with the extension “.zip”. You can attach this ZIP file to an outgoing email message.
- Use File Transfer Protocol (FTP) to transfer the file or files. MBARI provides an anonymous FTP server where you can upload files for MBARI staff members.
- Share the file(s) using a cloud file sharing service such as Google Drive, Microsoft OneDrive, or Dropbox. MBARI staff have access to Google Drive and Microsoft OneDrive, and may be able to invite you to share files to folders on their accounts.