The MBARI Engineering department is looking for an Ocean Robotics Engineer to join our small team developing exciting new ocean robots. An ideal candidate has software, electrical, and mechanical development skills, though need not have expertise in all three disciplines.
Specific tasks will include design development as well as the repair, testing, and field operation of MBARI’s fleet of Long Range AUV’s (LRAUV). Some travel, on-call work, and offshore boat operations will be required.
Ideally, the person in this position:
• Has an innate curiosity about how things work at the intersection of biology, robotics, and oceanography.
• Has experience working with computer controlled electro-mechanical systems.
• Is familiar with the Unix/Linux programming and use; shell, scripting languages (Python and/or Matlab), and programming (C++).
• Thrives in a fast-paced environment where new opportunities frequently cause us to pivot our areas of emphasis.
• Enjoys working on projects spanning multiple disciplines with engineers and scientists.
• Bachelors degree in an engineering discipline or equivalent experience.
The candidate should enjoy working with electro-mechanical systems that are under computer control. Prior experience with robotics programming frameworks is a significant plus and the role of the job will be adapted to take advantage of specific skills in this area. This position will require you to work independently, sometimes at unusual hours, as a critical part of a diverse team. Working well with others is of paramount importance.
Job Code: RE
7700 Sandholdt Road
Moss Landing, CA 95039
Submit your cover letter and resume by e-mail to: EngineeringCareers@mbari.org, by mail to the above address, or by fax to (831) 775-1646.
MBARI offers a competitive compensation and benefits package, including medical, dental, vision, short and long term disability, life insurance, 403B retirement plan, and paid time off, such as vacation, holiday, and sick leave.
MBARI is an Equal Opportunity Employer. MBARI considers all applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, national origin, age, disability, covered veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws.
MBARI Welcomes Diversity