MBARI was founded in 1987 on the belief that developing innovative marine technology to meet the unique challenges of ocean exploration required a new type of research institute—one independent in spirit and collaborative by design. Today, together with our conservation partners at the Monterey Bay Aquarium and our principal sponsor, the David and Lucile Packard Foundation, we strive to ensure ocean stewardship is guided by the best available science, engineering, and outreach. MBARI was founded on the belief that diverse, multidisciplinary teams are critical for achieving our mission to advance marine science and engineering to understand our changing ocean. As we move into our fourth decade, we seek to hire a Recruitment Specialist who will be part of the Human Resources office at MBARI, while working closely with the Diversity Equity Inclusion (DEI) Advisory Committee. This position reports to the Director of Human Resources.
Provides key support in the areas of recruitment.
- Assists with developing job descriptions and targeted outreach to ensure job openings are well advertised and widely available to a diverse audience.
- Supports the development of job descriptions that lead with sensitive, thoughtful, and inclusive language.
- Ensures job listings include an appropriate set of application requirements and are posted for an appropriate length of time.
- Supports search committees in learning about and following best practices to ensure equitable consideration and treatment of all candidates.
- Serves as the communication and scheduling liaison with candidates and is responsible for ensuring all prospective employees have a positive experience when interacting with MBARI.
- Assists in reviewing applications. Works to recruit a diverse applicant pool and confirm that candidates meet the job description.
- Recommends hiring goals and keeps Management abreast of progress.
- Contributes to onboarding of new employees, introducing them to the MBARI workplace and resources. Help develop a welcome program for new employees.
Establish and coordinate the graduate fellow and apprenticeship programs.
- Works with MBARI managers and supervisors to identify and assist with implementing meaningful training opportunities for graduate, undergraduate, and senior high school students.
- Develops and fosters relationships with appropriate organizations that regularly place apprentices (e.g., trade schools, community colleges).
- Identifies sites to advertise the training programs with an emphasis on reaching diverse audiences.
- Regularly checks in with trainees to show support and ask about their experience, including whether more can be done to improve their time at MBARI. Follows up on suggestions accordingly.
- In coordination with students’ supervisor/mentor, offer assistance in resume preparation and other education/employment-seeking activities as students transition out of the graduate fellowship and apprenticeship programs.
- Keeps in contact with trainees post-MBARI to learn of their status (further education and employment, for example) and to assess the training programs’ effectiveness.
Works in support of and provides assistance to ensure MBARI is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
- Provides assistance in ensuring Equal Opportunity is administered in compliance with governmental regulations.
- Tracks applicant and employee demographics, such as gender, race, ethnicity, veteran status, and disabilities.
- Tracks employee metrics such as promotions, transfers, hires, retention, and departures.
Serves as a member of MBARI’s DEI Advisory Committee.
- Works to identify training and outreach opportunities.
- Coordinates with others in the institute to identify outreach opportunities to reach a diverse audience.
- Assists in identifying resources in support of DEI and MBARI’s workforce.
- Serves as a liaison to Management on diversity-related issues.
Helps define and maintain DEI goals, engages employees, and promotes an inclusive work environment.
- Works with all levels of the organization to create ideas and recommend to the DEI Advisory Committee and Management inclusive activities that show continuous support of DEI.
- Document DEI goals, prepare progress reports, and present recommendations to Management.
- Work collaboratively across the organization to develop, monitor, and report on actionable and measurable DEI goals, strategies, and metrics.
- Keep abreast of DEI issues and activities on the local, state, and national level. Ensure MBARI’s practices are current, beyond the norm, and competitive.
Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources, Business Administration, or related field, and minimum five years relevant experience in the areas of recruitment and EEO compliance is required. A deep understanding of topics related to DEI. Strong DEI facilitation skills, and experience in teaching others from a wide range of backgrounds and identities is required. Must be computer literate and proficient in word, spreadsheets, and employment tracking databases. Excellent communication, analytical, administrative, and organizational skills are required. Must be able to multi-task and pay strict attention to detail. Must be able to work with diverse groups of people in a team environment. The ability to appropriately handle confidential and sensitive information is paramount.
Submit your cover letter and resume by e-mail to email@example.com, or by mail to the below address, or by fax to (831) 775-1620.
MBARI, Human Resources
Job Code: Recruitment Specialist
7700 Sandholdt Road
Moss Landing, CA 95039
MBARI offers a competitive compensation and benefits package, including medical, dental, vision, short and long term disability, life insurance, 403B retirement plan, and paid time off, such as vacation, holiday, and sick leave.
MBARI is an Equal Opportunity Employer. MBARI considers all applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, national origin, age, disability, covered veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws.
MBARI Welcomes Diversity