Monterey Bay Aquarium Research Institute’s engineering department is offering rare opportunities to collaborate with leading ocean researchers in shaping the future of ocean technology at our state-of-the-art facilities in Moss Landing, CA. MBARI seeks a motivated prototype machinist and fabricator to work as part of a multidisciplinary team with other engineers, scientists, and marine operations personnel on the design, fabrication, testing, and maintenance of various platforms and instruments for ocean science research. Duties may include assignments that are complex in nature where considerable judgment is required in resolving problems and making recommendations.
- At least five years of professional experience with mechanical design/fabrication/machining.
- Demonstrated experience as a prototype machinist
- MasterCam or similar CAM experience.
- SolidWorks or similar parametric modeling experience
- Ability to move a concept through design, fabrication, assembly, and testing.
- Excellent interpersonal, critical thinking, and communication skills.
- Ability to work independently and within multidisciplinary groups.
- Professional, able to deliver work on tight schedules.
- Ability to interpret/work with mechanical drawings/schematics as well as verbal request
- Experience working with a wide variety of materials (plastics, metals, composites)
- TIG and MIG welding experience.
- Sheet metal work experience.
- Ability to occasionally travel and work at sea.
- Experience with hydraulic systems.
- Experience with adhesives and potting compounds.
- Electrical drawing interpretation.
We are currently accepting applications for this position, which will remain open until filled.
MBARI, Human Resources
Job Code: PM
7700 Sandholdt Road
Moss Landing, CA 95039
Submit your cover letter and resume by e-mail to: EngineeringCareers@mbari.org, or by mail to the above address, or by fax to (831) 775-1620.
MBARI offers a competitive compensation and benefits package, including medical, dental, vision, short and long term disability, life insurance, 403B retirement plan, and paid time off, such as vacation, holiday, and sick leave.
MBARI is an Equal Opportunity Employer. MBARI considers all applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, national origin, age, disability, covered veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws.
MBARI Welcomes Diversity