Mechanical Engineering Technician
Monterey Bay Aquarium Research Institute’s engineering department is offering rare opportunities to collaborate with leading ocean researchers in shaping the future of ocean technology at our state-of-the-art facilities in Moss Landing, CA. MBARI seeks a motivated Mechanical Engineering Technician to work as part of a multidisciplinary team with other scientists, engineers, and marine operations personnel on the design, fabrication, testing, and maintenance of various platforms and instruments for ocean science research. Duties may include assignments that are complex in nature where considerable judgment is required in resolving problems and making recommendations.
- Must have previous experience with mechanical design and fabrication.
- Must have previous experience with manual mills and lathes.
- Must have experience with SolidWorks or similar CAD program.
- Ability to work independently and within multidisciplinary groups.
- Excellent interpersonal, critical thinking, and communication skills.
- Ability to move a concept through design, fabrication, assembly, and testing.
- Professional, able to deliver work on tight schedules.
- CNC programming and machining experience (using MasterCAM or similar).
- Ability to interpret mechanical drawings.
- TIG and MIG welding experience.
- Sheet metal work experience.
- Familiarity with a variety of materials (plastics, metals, composites).
- Experience with hydraulic systems.
- Experience with adhesives and potting compounds.
- Ability to occasionally travel and work at sea.
- 3D printer operation experience.
- Familiarity with electrical schematics
- Shipboard/small boat operation experience.
We are currently accepting applications for this position, which will remain open until filled.
MBARI, Human Resources
Job Code: ME-Tech
7700 Sandholdt Road
Moss Landing, CA 95039
Submit your cover letter and resume by e-mail to: EngineeringCareers@mbari.org, or by mail to the above address, or by fax to (831) 775-1620.
MBARI offers a competitive compensation and benefits package, including medical, dental, vision, short and long term disability, life insurance, 403B retirement plan, and paid time off, such as vacation, holiday, and sick leave.
MBARI is an Equal Opportunity Employer. MBARI considers all applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, national origin, age, disability, covered veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws.
MBARI Welcomes Diversity