Imaging Instrumentation Research Technician or Research Engineering Technician
MBARI seeks a Research Technician or Research Engineering Technician to assist with the development and methodological testing of new in situ particle imaging instruments. The technician will be part of a team of scientists and engineers collaborating across multiple institutions (MBARI, U. Rhode Island, U. Maine) to support NSF-funded projects. This project involves testing camera systems under development that quantify sinking particles and carbon export in the ocean to be deployed on subsurface drifters in the ocean’s midwaters. Duties include maintaining and operating instrument prototypes, performing imaging sensitivity experiments in the lab, assisting with field deployments, processing image data, and analyzing results. Duties may also include microscopy-based laboratory analyses and imaging. The technician will work jointly with the Carbon Flux Ecology Lab and Bioinspiration Lab groups.
This is an externally funded, one-year full-time position, with the possibility of extension for one additional year depending on job performance and continued funding.
- B.S or higher degree in Engineering, Marine Science, or relevant field,
- Demonstrable experience with Python,
- Demonstrable experience analyzing imaging data and synthesizing results,
- Ability to work independently and collaborate with a diverse and interdisciplinary team of scientists and engineers,
- Excellent interpersonal, critical thinking, and communication skills.
Preferred qualifications to include any or all of the following:
- Experience with light microscopy and optics,
- Experience maintaining and operating instrumentation,
- Desire to work at sea for specified periods of time,
- Familiarity with Python packages like OpenCV.
Submit your cover letter and cv/resume by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org, or by mail to the below address, or by fax to (831) 775-1620.
MBARI, Human Resources
Job Code: IIRT
7700 Sandholdt Road
Moss Landing, CA 95039
MBARI offers a competitive compensation and benefits package, including medical, dental, vision, short and long term disability, life insurance, 403B retirement plan, and paid time off, such as vacation, holiday, and sick leave.
MBARI is an Equal Opportunity Employer. MBARI considers all applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, national origin, age, disability, covered veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws.
MBARI Welcomes Diversity