Elkhorn Slough Nitrogen Case Study – Communicating Results
What do we do about it? What is mitigation?
As a class, discuss the importance of the environment and human impact on sensitive ecosystems like Elkhorn Slough. Consider some of the following questions:
- Why is it important to protect these areas?
- Can you help the greater community with what you have learned? How could you do this?
- Keep in mind all of the different stakeholders on the slough (farmers, power plant, fisherman, recreational users, etc.)
- How can you make this a better estuary for everyone without hurting anyone’s feelings?
- Can what we learned from the Elkhorn Slough example be applied elsewhere?
- What other issues in public policy are related to this topic?
After the class discussion, have students plan their next step and present their plan to the class.