The Electronics Technician will work in the Technician Group performing various duties throughout an electronic system’s development life cycle.
This individual shall perform duties such as, but not limited to:
- Construct test and measurement setups for test boards and instruments using appropriate electronic test equipment, perform required tests and provide relevant feedback and test results.
- Work with project engineers to implement engineering design changes, install field upgrades, and provide technical support for complex MBARI engineered systems.
- Aid in generating schematics, bill of materials, and layout printed circuit boards using OrCAD PCB Editor and Schematic Capture.
- Aid in the maintenance of MBARI’s electronic CAD database.
- Prototype assembly and instrument chassis wiring.
- Design verification testing of electrical circuits and electronic systems.
- Solder electrical assemblies using IPC J-STD-001 soldering techniques
- Procurement of parts kits.
- Management of offsite fabrications and assemblies.
- Assist in the maintenance of department shared lab space and equipment inventory. Organization and procurement of tools, supplies, and maintenance of shared use work areas.
- Fiber optic termination, splicing, and testing.
- An Associate’s Degree in Electronics or relevant experience required. Must have the ability to follow exacting procedures, work with small surface mount components, and must possess excellent soldering and wiring skills.
- The ability to read and interpret electronic schematics and bill of materials. The ability to proficiently use standard lab test equipment such as oscilloscopes, logic analyzers, DMM’s and similar equipment.
- The Electronic Technician shall participate and provide technical support for oceanographic field trials and expeditions. Therefore, the technician must be willing to go to sea for specified periods.
- Must be able to work as part of a team on problems of diverse scope and exercise judgment within defined practices and procedures. Must have excellent communication and organization skills. Must be able to work with diverse groups of people.
Experience in the following is preferred:
- OrCAD Schematic Capture CIS and PCB Editor.
- IPC-7711/7721 or equivalent certification for rework of electronic boards and assemblies.
- IPC J-STD-001 or equivalent certification for soldered electrical and electronic assemblies.
Please submit your cover letter and resume by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org, or by mail to the below address, or by fax to (831) 775-1620.
MBARI, Human Resources
Job Code: E-Tech
7700 Sandholdt Road
Moss Landing, CA 95039
MBARI offers a competitive compensation and benefits package.
MBARI is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. MBARI considers all applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, or covered veteran status in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws.
MBARI Welcomes Diversity