Electronic Engineering Technician
Founded in 1987 by the late David Packard, the Monterey Bay Aquarium Research Institute (MBARI) is a non-profit, private oceanographic research institute, uniquely dedicated to the development of state-of-the-art equipment, instrumentation, systems and methods for scientific research in the deep waters of the ocean. Located in Moss Landing, California, the heart of the nation’s largest marine sanctuary, MBARI places a balanced emphasis on science and engineering, with established programs in remotely operated vehicle (ROV) and autonomous underwater vehicle (AUV) technology, ocean physics, chemistry, geology, biology, and social science, as well as information management and ocean instrumentation research and development.
MBARI is now in search of a highly motivated Electronic Engineering Technician to become a part of its mission.
This individual shall perform duties such as, but not limited to:
- Develop test and measurement setups for prototype boards and instruments using appropriate electronic test equipment. Document test results and present the resulting data in appropriate formats.
- Work with MBARI project engineers to implement and document engineering designs, commission new electronic assemblies, install field upgrades, and provide technical support for complex MBARI designed and built electro-mechanical systems.
- Aid in generating schematics, bill of materials, and layouts of printed circuit boards.
- Assembly and rework of PCBA’s, cable harnesses, and electro-mechanical assemblies. Instrument chassis wiring.
- Manage EE Test Lab; Maintenance of tools and check calibration dates on lab equipment and document, handle inventory of test equipment, procure components and tools to keep the lab running.
- Perform testing and inspection, using magnifying devices, measuring instruments, and electronic test equipment, to ensure parts and assemblies meet the engineer’s specifications and standards.
- Must have the ability to follow exacting procedures, work with small (0402) surface mount components, and must possess excellent soldering and wiring skills.
- The ability to read and interpret electronic schematics and bill of materials.
- Must have an understanding of passive and active electrical components, switches such as MOSFETs, BJTs, etc. Must be able to troubleshoot down to the component level.
- The ability to proficiently use standard lab test equipment such as oscilloscopes, multi-meters, hi pot testers, and other similar equipment.
- Must be able to work as an effective and enthusiastic member of a team on projects and problems of diverse scope and exercise judgment within defined practices and procedures. Must have excellent communication, organization, and customer service skills. Must be able to work with diverse groups of people.
- An Associate’s Degree in Electronics with 4 years relevant experience.
You will exceed our minimum requirements if you additionally have:
- Experience with OrCAD Schematic Capture CIS and PCB Editor.
- IPC-7711/7721 or equivalent certification for rework of electronic boards and assemblies.
- IPC J-STD-001 or equivalent certification for soldered electrical and electronic assemblies.
- Experience with Fiber optic termination, splicing, and testing.
- Experience with Labview, C, or other software programming languages.
- Experience with standard shop equipment, drill press, band saw, cutoff saw, etc.
- The ability and willingness to go to sea for specified periods of time.
We are currently accepting applications for this position, which will remain open until filled.
MBARI, Human Resources
Job Code: EE-Tech
7700 Sandholdt Road
Moss Landing, CA 95039
Submit your cover letter and resume by e-mail to: EngineeringCareers@mbari.org, or by mail to the above address, or by fax to (831) 775-1620.
MBARI offers a competitive compensation and benefits package, including medical, dental, vision, short and long term disability, life insurance, 403B retirement plan, and paid time off, such as vacation, holiday, and sick leave.
MBARI is an Equal Opportunity Employer. MBARI considers all applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, national origin, age, disability, covered veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws.
MBARI Welcomes Diversity