Administrator, Division of Marine Operations (DMO)
This position provides administrative and professional support for the Director and Division of Marine Operations (DMO). The incumbent works as the key liaison with his or her own Division and other areas of MBARI. This position requires flexibility in that the incumbent routinely performs multiple tasks simultaneously, as well as given assignments with little or no notice at times. In addition to normal operations, we will be concurrently working on the build of a new vessel, which may add to workload for a few years.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Perform administrative duties, such as drafting written and email correspondence, proofreading documents, assist with budgets, travel arrangements, photocopying, faxing, preparing materials for mailing purposes, and travel for work related tasks.
- Responsible for coordination and submittal of DMO timesheets to accounting department.
- Prepare a variety of reports, memoranda, and agendas in a timely and accurate manner.
- Maintain a list of qualified mariners capable of providing temporary relief for various positions aboard our ships, and coordinate personnel scheduling with Director, Captains and Human Resources to ensure ships maintain schedules.
- Maintain and update various electronic and hardcopy maritime documents such as shipboard regulatory documents, International Safety Management (ISM) Code manuals, Oil Spill Response manuals, and International Shipboard and Port Security (ISPS) manuals. As part of MBARI’s ISM certification, you will be subject to code compliance audits by both internal and external auditors.
- Answer telephone calls and courteously handle and/or refer person to appropriate staff.
- Coordinate meetings, accurately take minutes, and distribute them to the appropriate personnel in a timely manner.
- Perform special projects, as necessary.
- Effectively supervise assigned staff, including conducting performance evaluations, recommendations for promotions, discipline and termination. Give work assignments and create environment to promote effective teamwork.
- Ensure professional working relations with co-workers and outside contacts.
- Perform other administrative duties as assigned.
Bachelor degree or equivalent and proven experience at the highest level Administrative Assistant. Demonstrated success in the capacity of providing administrative support. Generally requires minimum 5 years relevant experience. Must have demonstrated ability in managing a budget. Must possess excellent communication and organizational skills. Appropriate handling of sensitive and confidential information is essential. Must be computer literate and proficient in word processing, spreadsheets, graphics software, and shared document storage solutions such as OneDrive, Google Drive and shared network folders. Must be able to work with diverse groups of people.
MBARI, Human Resources
Job Code: Administrator
7700 Sandholdt Road
Moss Landing, CA 95039
Submit your cover letter and resume by e-mail to email@example.com, or by mail to the above address, or by fax to (831) 775-1620.
MBARI offers a competitive compensation and benefits package.
MBARI is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. MBARI considers all applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, or covered veteran status in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws.
MBARI Welcomes Diversity