CeNCOOS Data Specialist
The Monterey Bay Aquarium Research Institute (MBARI) is recruiting a Data Specialist for the Central and Northern California Ocean Observing System (CeNCOOS). CeNCOOS is a Regional Association of the US Integrated Ocean Observing System (IOOS®). The role works closely with other CeNCOOS staff and collaborators to implement the CeNCOOS Data Management and Cyberinfrastructure (DMAC) Sub-system. This involves coordination to build and maintain datastream connections between the acquisition, curation, and dissemination of data and information products.
This individual will be part of a team of experts working to integrate data from a wide assortment of sources including academic researchers, and local, state and federal agencies. This includes data from the domains of physics, biogeochemistry, biology and ecology. This requires coordination with several initiatives to harmonize best practices including the CeNCOOS DMAC Sub-system lead Axiom Data Science, as well as the Marine Biodiversity Observation Network (MBON), Animal Telemetry Network (ATN), California Current Acidification Network (C-CAN), the Deep Ocean Observing Strategy (DOOS), Ocean Vision AI (OVAI) and more.
This work will include the integration of data through forming and applying best practices, which then make data findable, accessible, interoperable and reusable (FAIR). Such practices enable CeNCOOS to create value-added data products that address challenges such as:
- Predicting weather and climate variability and change;
- Safe and efficient transportation and commerce;
- Preparedness and risk reduction for coastal communities;
- Healthy ecosystems and water quality.
Major responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Develop and implement data products and services that meet stakeholder needs as prioritized by CeNCOOS;
- Develop capabilities to search for, present, visualize or process CeNCOOS data holdings, which include physical, biogeochemical, biology and ecosystem data;
- Maintain knowledge of information product development and maintenance practices, including software development skills such as Python, Matlab, Geographic Information Systems (GIS) and emerging tools;
- Work with data providers to find, standardize, and improve access to new and historical data for integration and onward (re)use;
- Assist in data management activities among the IOOS program office, its DMAC team, our DMAC delivery partner Axiom Data Science, and other CeNCOOS partners (e.g. via regular conference calls and standards reviews);
- Facilitate DMAC-related engagement with data providers, as well as end users (e.g. tracking feedback, response and actions);
- Streamline the production of analytics to underpin data syntheses and condition reports on the status and trends, such as for California marine protected areas, Integrated Ecosystem Assessments, and National Marine Sanctuary assessments;
- Contribute to the dissemination of CeNCOOS products and tools, including maintaining Internet-based education and outreach materials or data access training tutorials to improve data accessibility.
The post will be based at the Monterey Bay Aquarium Research Institute (MBARI) located in Moss Landing, CA, where CeNCOOS is housed. MBARI has an active data science and research program with others working on cutting-edge data handling techniques including machine learning / artificial intelligence, novel means of data telecommunications and many other aspects of ocean science and engineering. Opportunities to participate in fieldwork are expected for understanding the collection of data that make up part of the expected assessment.
Please submit a cover letter, including reference to relevant training and/or experience, and a curriculum vitae by e-mail to email@example.com, or by mail to the below address, or by fax to (831) 775-1620.
MBARI, Human Resources
Job Code: CeNCOOS-DS
7700 Sandholdt Road
Moss Landing, CA 95039
MBARI offers a competitive compensation and benefits package, including medical, dental, vision, short and long term disability, life insurance, 403B retirement plan, and paid time off, such as vacation, holiday, and sick leave.
MBARI is an Equal Opportunity Employer. MBARI considers all applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, national origin, age, disability, covered veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws.
MBARI Welcomes Diversity