Use of NILSPIN ™ or other jacketed cables, wire ropes, terminations
Jacketed products such as NILSPIN impede the ability to inspect the underlying wire and terminations for signs of corrosion, presenting a potential safety risk if service life is not monitored closely. The following guidelines are provided for applications where the product is the load bearing component during deployment and/or recovery.
- NILSPIN is designed for 12 month ocean deployments; this duration may be extended to 18 months to accommodate operational schedules.
- Offshore turnarounds may re-use NILSPIN provided it has not been damaged during recovery, exposed to air for longer than 7 days between deployments, and will not exceed its 1 year service life from initial deployment.
- It is recommended that in the event of damage, spare NILSPIN be included as part of the cruise kit to preclude the inability to redeploy a mooring.
- The owner of any wire or rope (in addition to NILSPIN) used for load bearing operations will be required to tag each length at both ends with a unique identifying number which can be traced to a written record of procurement date, specification, deployment/recovery dates, and details of usage. Untagged wire or rope will be considered non-operational.
- Under the direction of the Captain, the ship’s crew will review the mooring configuration and compliance with this policy to ensure a safe operation.