Lab use and chemical safety
It is the policy of the Monterey Bay Aquarium Research Institute (MBARI) that chemicals brought on board a MBARI research vessel will be stored and handled in a safe manner consistent with all chemical safety policies contained in the MBARI Safety Manual. Additionally, individuals who bring chemicals on board an MBARI research vessel will observe the procedures outlined below.
- When transferring chemicals to and from the laboratory to the research vessel, the chemicals must be double contained.
- All chemical containers must be properly labeled.
- Personal protective equipment must be made available and worn by the user of the chemical on the research vessel.
- The corresponding Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) must accompany each chemical, and should be readily available to crew members and to any person working with any chemicals.
- The cabinet containing the chemical shall be appropriate for use, with attention to separation of incompatible chemicals.
- The quantity of the chemical brought on board should be reasonable, and should be a quantity that would be expected to be used on the cruise.
- Spill material must be present in the proper type and amount that is appropriate for the chemical brought on board.
- At the conclusion of the cruise, the individual who brought the chemicals on board must remove the chemicals from the research vessel.