facts about Sargassum
- Inhabits all the world's oceans except the Antarctic.
- Contains antibacterial chemicals called phenolics.
- Is the deepest occurring brown alga, at 200 feet. (S. hawaiiensis)
- Is an aggressive invader. (S. muticum)
Why is Sargassum muticum so tenacious?
- Rapid development begins immediately after fertilization
- Bushy plants shade out competitors
- Holdfast can regenerate fronds
- Tolerant of wide temperature and salinity ranges
- Monoecious and self-fertile
- Abscission of fertile branches leads to long range dispersal
Return to Sargassum home page
05 January 2005
copyright Jacqueline Pratt 1999. All