12th Annual MBARI Intern Symposium
Thursday, August 21, 2008
9 AM - 3:30 PM, Pacific Forum
- 9:00-9:15 George Matsumoto Welcome and introduction
- 9:15-9:30 Amanda Kahn - How old is that sponge? A potential in situ method for estimating growth rates of deep-sea sponges.
- 9:30-9:45 Catherine Leclerc - A study of fault diagnosis and recovery onboard Tethys (MBARI's long range AUV).
- 9:45-10:00 Matt Binder - A multimedia approach to developing online marine science educational products for the Central and Northern California Ocean Observing System (CeNCOOS).
- 10:00-10:15 Alison Case - Jellywatch.org - Using publicly submitted sightings to better understand jellyfish populations.
- 10:15-10:30 Kaitlin Frasier - Life After Death: A characterization of changing whale fall communities.
- 10:30-10:45 Break
- 10:45-11:00 Zeyn Saigol - Automated Testing for AUV Planning Software.
- 11:00-11:15 Zach Ruble - Observatory Middleware Framework: Project designing an interface for connecting multiple underwater observatories.
- 11:15-11:30 Stephen Crook - Estimating economic activity in the coastal zone of the Monterey Bay Crescent.
- 11:30-11:45 Olga Shatova - Understanding Intermediate Nepheloid Layers: A multi-platform approach.
- 11:45-12:00 Melissa Meiner - Sporadic detection of large Paragorgia corals on Davidson Seamount in 1 meter scale AUV multibeam data.
- 12:00-13:00 Lunch
- 13:00-13:15 Jonathan Karp - Methodology, design, and testing of the open deck incubator for research on ocean acidification and photosynthesis.
- 13:15-13:30 Alan Foreman - Creating Different Oceans: Preliminary Ocean Perturbation Experiment (OPEREX) results.
- 13:30-13:45 Alejandra Ortiz - Using Fast Repetition Rate Fluorometry to measure the effects of light quality and quantity on Micromonas.
- 13:45-14:00 Darcy McRose - Effects of temperature on growth dynamics of key picoeukaryotic species.
- 14:00-14:15 Harriet Skoning - Effects of light and radiation on the cell cycles of Micromonas puillsa and Ostreococcus tauri.
- 14:15-14:30 Break
- 14:30-14:45 Erin Beck - SeaWASP: A small waterplane area twin hull autonomous platform for shallow water mapping.
- 14:45-15:00 Ashley Blacow - Communicating for Conservation: Potential ocean observing indicators and information products for evaluating MPA success.
- 15:00-15:15 Zach Olsen - Experimental Electrolysis Culturing Unit: Searching for subseafloor microbes.
- 15:15-15:30 Freya Goetz - Glowing Predators of the Deep: Isolating and characterizing the bioluminescent proteins from two deep sea arrow worms.