News releases and media coverage
related to harmful algal bloom research
| News release 1/6/00:
Molecular probes link
sea lion deaths to toxic algal blooms
Research article: C.A. Scholin, et al. Mortality of sea lions
along the central California coast linked to a toxic diatom bloom. Nature,
6 January 2000, 403: 80-84.
News release 6/5/01:
New instrument enables remote detection of toxic algae in real time
- Santa Cruz Sentinel, 5/23/02, "Marine
experts fear new toxic algae bloom." by Brian Seals.
- Associated Press, 5/20/02, "Toxic
algae deadly for state's marine mammals." by Robert Jablon.
- KTVU-Oakland, 5/9/02, Special Report on harmful algal blooms. Reported by Robert
International, Sep-Oct 2001 issue, "Toxic algae cannot hide from remote
testing capsule." by Nancy Rowell.
- Our Ocean World, 9/18/01, "Lab
in a bottle."
- Photonics Spectra, September 2001
issue, "Sensor remotely detects toxic algae." by Nancy
- Santa Cruz Sentinel, 7/1/01, "New
sample processor boon to algae research. by Robin Mejia.
- Coast Weekly, 9/14/00,
"Serendipity at Sea: New technology and a bit of luck help MBARI
scientists understand toxic algae." by Sarah Givens.
- Monterey County Herald, 9/1/00, "
Algae blooms a serious threat."
- Metro Santa Cruz, 8/30/00, "Killer
- The Californian, 8/29/00, "Toxic
algae in the bay puzzles scientists." by J. Michael Rivera.
- The Beach Gazette ,
8/10/00, "Recovery of sea lions hopeful." by Adrias Das.
- The Beach Gazette, 8/3/00, "Toxic
algae affecting sea lions." by Adrian Das.
- The Monterey County Herald, 1/12/00, "Toxin deadly to sea lions makes return."
- Saturday Night, 6/3/00, "The
cells from Hell." By Nancy Baron.
- Environmental News Network,
1/13/00, "Toxic algae
blamed for sea lion toll." by Margot Higgins.
- New York Times, 1/11/00,
"Danger from algae." by Henry Fountain.
- Washington Post, 1/10/00,
"Solving sea lion deaths." by Rob Stein.
- Science News, 1/8/00, "Algae
turn fish into a lethal lunch." by J. Raloff.
- San Francisco Chronicle, 1/6/00,
seals reveal their secrets: Scientists also track '98 California sea lion plague."
by David Perlman.
- Discovery Channel Online, 1/6/00,
"Toxic algae kills sea lions." by Mari N. Jensen.
- Newsday, 1/6/00, "Acid
named in sea lion deaths: Warning of seafood poison threat seen."
by Bob Cooke.
- National Public Radio, 1/6/00
(morning edition), "Toxic
algae blooms." by John Nielsen.
- San Jose Mercury News, 1/6/00,
"98 bloom emits poisonous acid: Algae caused sea lion die-off."
by John Woolfolk.
- Science Now (AAAS),
1/5/00, "A lethal chain of events." by Liese Greensfelder.
- CNN.com, 1/5/00, "Sea lion
deaths linked to toxic algae bloom."
- Associated Press, 1/5/00,
"Sea lion deaths linked to algae."
Media Contact: Debbie Meyer,