News releases and media coverage related to bacterial photopigment
News release 12/10/01: Seafloor laboratories yield new insights for deep-sea carbon sequestration research
News release 10/12/01: Researchers report on possible biological effects of deep-sea CO2 sequestration
News release 12/15/00: Scientists study the effects of carbon dioxide sequestration on deep-sea animals
News release 5/7/99: Deep-sea disposal of fossil-fuel CO2: First ocean observations.
Related media coverage:
- Associated Press, 2/14/02, "Scientists wary of trapping carbon dioxide under the sea." by David Briscoe.
- The New York Times, 11/20/01, "Plan calls for using oceans to soak up CO2; critics cite perils." by Kenneth Chang.
- Die Zeit, 11/8/01, "Ab in den untergrund." by Hubertus Breuer.
- Monterey County Herald, 10/14/01, "Carbon dioxide: Trouble for sea life." by Kathleen Wong.
- Coast Weekly cover story, 8/16/01, "Global warming: 96 degrees in the shade." by Traci Hukill.
- BBC Radio, 8/16/01, "Scientists under pressure." Presenter Bill McGuire.
- NewsHour, 8/6/01, "Seeking a CO2 solution: Burial at sea?" by Spencer Michels.
- Discover Magazine, August 2001, "Greenhouse effect, R.I.P." by Neil Savage.
- Los Angeles Times cover story, 7/15/01, "Pitting Yankee ingenuity against global warming." by Usha McFarling.
- San Jose Mercury News Science & Health section, 6/26/01, "Finding a safe place to stash carbon dioxide." by Greg Miller.
- New York Times cover story, 6/17/01, "A new strategy to help capture greenhouse gas." by Kenneth Chang.
- BBC World Service, Warm World II, 3/11/01, "Greenhouse gas burial." Radio broadcast by Richard Black.
- Canadian Broadcasting Corporation, 1/6/01, "Carbon sunk in the ocean." CBC Radio interview with Peter Brewer. by Bob McDonald.
- Science Now, 12/26/00, "A deep-sea solution to global warming?" by Robert Irion.
- Chemical & Engineering News, 9/18/00, "Sequestering CO2." by Rebecca L. Rawls.
- Environmental News Network, 7/29/00, "DOE commits $15 million to help blow the greenhouse down." by Robinson Shaw.
- Newport News-Times, 7/19/00, "Scientists look at possible energy source: Seabed methane crystals." by Joel Gallob.
- USA Today, 1/25/00, "Defusing the carbon dioxide threat: Maneuvers on land, sea could cool global trend." by Dan Vergano.
- U.S. News & World Report, 1/3/00Outlook 2000 issue, Bold ideas from big thinkers, page 66. "Peter Brewer: Prescribing a sea cruise for greenhouse gases." by David Whitman. (Related television coverage on KSBW-TV8, January 10).
- Christian Science Monitor, December 2, 1999, "Burying world's extra CO2 on ocean bottom." by Eric Niiler.
- Chemistry, Fall 1999, "Chemical Solutions to Global Warming." by Tom Rickey.
- Science & Vie, November 1999, "Climatologie: Noyer le CO2."
- Geo Wissen, special issue #24The Ocean and the Deep Sea, September 1999, "Forscher testen die Deponierung des Verbrennungsprodukts CO2 in der Tiefsee."
- San Francisco Examiner, 7/19/99, "Scientists see ominous signs of rapid global warming." by Keay Davidson.
- Sea Technology, July 1999, "Disposal of fossil-fuel CO2: First ocean observations."
- Geotimes, July 1999, "Could the ocean store excess CO2?"
- Science News, 6/19/99, "Good-bye to a Greenhouse Gas." by Richard Monastersky.
- Financial Times, England, 6/5/99, "Deep-sea solution to cool a fevered world." by Clive Cookson.
- Neue Zuercher Zeitung, 5/19/99, "Kein Kohlendioxid-See auf dem Meeresboden." by Carola Hanisch.
- New Scientist, 5/15/99 issue, "Into the Abyss: Consigning carbon to the deep could slow climate change." by Noreen Parks.
- The Alchemist, 5/13/99, "CO2 goes diving." by Mathew Harkinson.
- Global Warming Today, 5/11/99, "Researchers examine deep-sea disposal of CO2."
- BBC News Online, 5/10/99, "Global warming solution hopes dampened."
- Chemical & Engineering News, 5/10/99, "CO2 chemistry in the deep ocean." by Rebecca L. Rawls.
- CNN, 5/10/99, "Ocean studied for carbon dioxide storage."
- Salinas Californian, 5/10/99, "Area scientists close to finding way to douse greenhouse gases." by Bryn Nelson.
- Santa Cruz Sentinel, 5/8/99, "Greenhouse blob is studied beneath Monterey Bay."
- Sacramento Bee, 5/7/99, "Wizards of ooze seek to fight global warming in sea." by Carrie Peyton.
- KSBW-TV, 5/7/99, Evening news. Interview with MBARI senior research technician Edward Peltzer.
Kim Fulton-Bennett, firstname.lastname@example.org, 831-775-1835