Printing While Visiting MBARI
Visitors to MBARI may use “LPR printing” to print to MBARI network printers. Step-by-step setup instructions for Windows and Mac clients are below. For those familiar with setting up LPR printing, here is a brief synopsis of the information you need:
- Printer or host name – thunder.shore.mbari.org (the MBARI print server)
- Queue name – the MBARI-assigned name of the desired printer (found on a label on the physical printer itself, or on the thunder web site.) [Note: Links to thunder are not accessible outside MBARI.]
- Printer model – found on the physical printer itself, or the thunder web site.)
- Printer driver – included in most newer operating systems, or downloadable from HP
After determining the name and model of the printer you wish to print to, set up an LPR connection to it on a Windows computer by following the steps below. (These instructions were written for Windows 7, but are generally applicable to most versions of Windows.)
- Go to Start->Control Panel->Devices & Printers… and click the Add a Printer link at the top of the window.
- Click “Add a local printer” to continue.
- On the “Choose a printer port” screen, click the “Create a new port” radio button, and select “Standard TCP/IP Port” from the dropdown menu. Click Next.
- Enter thunder.shore.mbari.org in the “Hostname or IP address” field. In the “Port name” field, enter any name that makes sense to you, but it must be filled in. (It will default as the server host name.) Click Next to continue.
- Wait for the detection process to complete. It will likely fail; that’s ok.
- Select the Custom radio button and click the “Settings…” button.
- Under the Protocol section, select “LPR”. Under LPR Settings, in the “Queue Name” field, enter the name of the printer and tick the “LPR Byte Counting Enabled” checkbox. The printer names can be found labeled on the physical printers themselves, or on Thunder.
- Click Ok, then Next to continue.
- Locate the printer make and model on the list presented. (If the printer does not appear in the list, click the Have Disk button and navigate to drivers you downloaded from HP, or choose a similar printer model; the IS group can help choose a compatible alternate.) Click Next to continue.
- Enter your preferred name for this printer (or accept the offered name). Click Next to continue.
- Select “Do not share this printer”. Click Next to continue.
- Select whether to make this your default printer, and click “Print a test page” if you wish.
- Click Finish and the installation will be complete.
Mac OS X Setup
After determining the name and model of the printer you wish to print to, setup an LPR connection to it on a Mac OS X computer by following the steps below.
- Open System Preferences, and choose the Printers & Scanners preference pane.
- Click the ‘+’ button at the lower left to add a printer.
- In the Add window that appears, click the IP icon. Enter thunder.shore.mbari.org as the Address. Choose Line Printer Daemon – LPD from the drop down menu. Enter the printer name in the queue name field, and enter the human-readable name you would like to use to refer to the printer in the Name field.
- From the Use menu, choose Select Software… and choose the appropriate printer model from the list and click Ok. (If the printer model or a compatible alternate does not appear in the list, cancel the configuration process, install the driver for the printer, and begin again from step 1.)
- Click the Add button.
- Depending on the printer selected, an installable options sheet may appear. MBARI laser printers typically have all optional input trays installed, duplex capability, an internal hard drive, and memory upgraded to 128MB plus. Ask an IS staff member if you are not sure how to configure the installable options.
- Click the Ok button, and the installation will be complete.