Width: 5' 6"
Height: 7' 3"
- Structure & Ballast
Core vehicle dry weight: 2,567 kg. (5,660 lbs.)
Benthic toolsled, dry: 399 kg (880 lbs.)
Midwater sled, dry: 235 kg (520 lbs.)
Midwater sled, full of water: 408 kg (900 lbs.)
Configurable ballast c/w benthic sled:
- 850 lbs.
- 80 lbs. variable buoyancy, expandable to 380 lbs.
- Power (hotel): 8 kW
- Lighting: 3.4 kW
- System: 1.1 kW
Science: 3.5 kW
- Hydraulic power: 3000 psi
40 hp Franklin electric motor (2300 VAC)
Rexroth A10-25 hydraulic pump
- Thrusters (six):
Two Rexroth A2F with ISE nozzles
Four Volvo F11-10 with ISE nozzles
- Servo manifolds:
- One Atchley 240 (thrusters and auxiliary), one 5-station
Two Atchley 139 (camera, manipulator spares), one 5-station, one
- Hydraulic valves (two 8-station, 3-position 4-way)
Manipulators (ISE 7-function, Schilling T4 7-function)
- Umbilical cable: 2300 m
Three # 12 gage conductors for hydraulics
Four # 16 gage conductors for vehicle hotel
Four single-mode fibers
Ventana's control system consists of three major components:
- Main control computer (rack-mounted Pentium 3 running Intel DTEC control software on Red Hat Linux 7.0) connected to an embedded controller on the vehicle, also running DTEC control software on Redhat linux 7.0.
- Camera control graphical user interface (GUI) and lap controller station and single board computer (SBC) to drive the main camera.
- Toolsled GUI interconnected to the camera lap controller and an SBC to drive the toolsled power controller.
Controls for the camera and the toolsled were developed at MBARI. Communication is achieved by use of local area network (LAN), multiplexed serial port technology, and analog interface.
- Altimeter: Mesotech Echo Sounder 807, 60 meter and 30 meter range
- Depth Sensor: Paroscientific 8B2000
- Octans Fiber Optic Gyro (FOG) motion sensor with six degrees of freedom in custom 2000m titanium housing
- RDI Workhouse Doppler Velocity Log (DVL) with system integrated stationkeeping and video mosaicing
- 2 DSPL HMI lamps, 400 watts, upgraded in house
- 4x DSPL HID Daylight Lamps 400 watts
- 2x DSPL Incandescent Lamps 250 watts
- 2x Aux Lights to 500 watts
- Mesotech MS1000, 675 kHz high resolution head or 330 kHz standard head
- USBL (Ship to ROV Beacon), Sonardyne Ranger software tested in 1000m water with 500m HD range.
- USBL (ROV to Beacon): Sonardyne Homer Pro
4000 m capable, 400m range line of sight (LOS)
- One Ikegama HD camera with HA10X5.2 Fujinon Zoom Lens
- Six Insight Orion zoom cameras with integrated pilot control
- VARS Video Capture System (direct from RGB Sony Feed), HDSPI capable
- Sony digital Betacam (D1), and Panasonic AJ-HD2000 high definition recorder (D5)
- Dynair 30 X 30 Video Switch (ROV control room)
- Focal 903 digital multiplexer, 21 RS232 serial, 5 RS485 serial, 4 Subsea USB
- Scientific CTD package
- depth, temperature, salinity: SBE 19plus V2
- dissolved O2 via SBE 4 and an Andera optode
- transmissometer, WET Labs CSTAR
- spare channel or fluorometer, WET Labs
- Falmouth Scientific Acoustic Flow Meter
- Harbor Branch Spatial lasers
- 2 parallel
- 1 crossing
- 10/100/1000 Base-T high speed Ethernet port
- Three dedicated high speed serial ports for science, with 12 and 24 VDC, and NTSC video available
- 120VAC @ 5 amps with highspeed Ethernet for high capacity science instrument interface
- "MARS like" interface port to simulate subsea MARS ports