Marine Operations Policies
Minors at Sea
- Due to MBARI insurance liability issues, minors are not allowed onboard any MBARI vessel. Minors are defined as anyone under age 18. Only MBARI employees or qualified scientists may board the institute's vessels.
Operational Risk Assessment
- Operational limits on MBARI vessels are established with risk assessments that take into account the level of training and familiarity with equipment as well as weather conditions. Contact the Director of Marine Operations or the Captain if you have questions or concerns about weather limitations or other risk assessments.
R/V Western Flyer
- Cruise legs should not exceed 11 days
- Departure and Arrival Times
- Science Party Size
- Shore side operating hours are 0700-1530 five days a week. After these hours the vessel will be locked and secured from access.
- Staying onboard prior to early departure time
- RHIB operations (Rigid Hull Inflatable Boat)
R/V Rachel Carson