Biological oceanography research
We strive for a better understanding of the causes of temporal and spatial variability in phytoplankton biomass, composition and production at meso to large scales, and to relating the variations to climate, ocean variability and upper ocean biogeochemical cycles.
The primary questions we seek to answer are:
- What are the mean and fluctuating components of phytoplankton primary production, biomass and species composition on time scales ranging from days to years.
- What are the physical, chemical and biological processes responsible for the mean and fluctuating components.
- What controls primary production and phytoplankton growth rates.
- What is the role of meso and macrozooplankton in coastal upwelling systems.
- What is the fate of primary production?
- What are the biological consequences of El Niño.