Reporting to the CFO, the selected candidate will be an experienced Accounting Manager willing to undertake all aspects of financial management, including general ledger accounting, regulatory and financial reporting, budget and forecasts preparation, as well as oversight and development of internal control policies and procedures. The Accounting Manager will be responsible for oversight of all finance, accounting, and reporting activities and lead all day-to-day finance operations of the budget. The Accounting Manager will ensure the appropriate systems and procedures are in place to support effective program implementation and conduct flawless audits. The Accounting Manager will work closely with program leaders and their staffs, not only to educate them regarding finance and accounting procedures but also to explore how the finance function can support program operations.
In addition, this individual will partner with the CFO, senior leadership, and the human resources (HR) and information technology (IT) staff to enhance and better integrate finance, HR, and IT functions. This position ensures that all accounting systems are in compliance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and the organization’s policies. The ability to pay strict attention to detail, timeliness, and accuracy is paramount. The incumbent will leverage strengths of the current finance team members, and assist in implementing training programs in order to maximize and reach optimal individual and organizational goals. S/he will provide leadership in strengthening internal communications with staff at all levels throughout the organization; create and promote a positive and supportive work environment.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide guidance of all accounting processes including billing, A/R, A/P, GL, Fixed Assets and Revenue/Expense recognition insuring compliance with appropriate GAAP standards and regulatory requirements/reporting
- Assist leadership in the annual budgeting and planning/forecasting process; administer and review all financial plans and compare to actual results with a view to identify, explain, and correct variances as appropriate
- Prepare and publish timely monthly financial statements and supporting reports
- Consistently analyze financial data and present financial reports in an accurate and timely manner; clearly communicate monthly, quarterly, and annual financial statements; monitor progress and changes and keep senior leadership abreast of financial status;
- Support the CFO in engaging the board’s audit and finance committees around issues and trends in financial operating models and delivery
- Manage organizational cash flow forecasting by working in partnership with the project leaders and divisional administrators; continuously collaborate with project leaders and divisional administrators to assess the financial efficacy of program operations and establish finance and administrative systems to support program operations.
- Research technical accounting issues for compliance
- Support month-end and year-end close process including reconciliation of ledger accounts
- Ensure quality control and safeguards over financial transactions and financial reporting
- Manage and comply with local, state, and federal government reporting requirements and tax filings
- Develop and document business processes and accounting policies to maintain and strengthen internal controls
- Prepares journal entries in a timely and accurate manner
- Prepares working papers and coordinate all audit activity
- Perform other accounting related functions as necessary
- Manage and track the performance of invested assets in keeping with policies and investment guidelines
This is an extraordinary opportunity for a suitable candidate with seven to ten years of accounting and finance experience, ideally beginning in accounting and audit, followed by experience gathering, evaluating, presenting and reporting financial information to executive teams and external stakeholders.
Other qualifications include:
- Flexible and open to an evolving environment
- Provide leadership in strengthening internal communications with staff at all levels throughout the organization; create and promote a positive and supportive work environment
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and unwavering commitment to mission; a proactive, hands-on strategic thinker who will own, in partnership with the CFO, the responsibility for finance
- Minimum of a BA; CPA and/or MBA preferred
- Solid experience coordinating audit activities and managing reporting, budget development and analysis, general ledger, payroll, and accounting for investments
- Technology savvy with experience selecting and overseeing software installations; advanced knowledge of accounting and reporting software; medium to advance knowledge of Excel
- Keen analytic, organization and problem solving skills, which allows for strategic data interpretation versus simple reporting
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills; experience in effectively communicating key data, including presentations to senior management
- Ability and desire to translate complex financial concepts to individuals at all levels including finance and non-finance managers
- Ability to treat and maintain confidential information
Address your cover letter to:
MBARI, Human Resources
Job code: AM
7700 Sandholdt Road, Moss Landing, CA 95039-9644
Submit your cover letter and resume by e-mail to email@example.com, or by mail to the above address, or by fax to (831) 775-1620.
MBARI is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. MBARI considers all applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, or covered veteran status in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws.
MBARI Welcomes Diversity